Twin Turbo 1UZ 1970 Ford Capri street/strip car

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
it runs 3.7: 1, 30 '' high tyre, so does your convertor lock up at 7000rpm, we sorted out the boost controller last thursday night on the dyno, went out and tested it tonight at the track,need to spend some more time on it the track was alright had a bit of trouble with the two step,the tyres ended up being a bit shaged in the end went 8.16 @ 170mph, to night i worked out a couple of things which i thing i might need to try next time. need to have a think about it for a while

it runs 3.7: 1, 30 '' high tyre, so does your convertor lock up at 7000rpm, we sorted out the boost controller last thursday night on the dyno, went out and tested it tonight at the track,need to spend some more time on it the track was alright had a bit of trouble with the two step,the tyres ended up being a bit shaged in the end went 8.16 @ 170mph, to night i worked out a couple of things which i thing i might need to try next time. need to have a think about it for a while

nice time, ur getting her sorted. what E85 do you use? ok your 30'' high, we can only get 28's under. we went out Friday just on the street E85 tune. yeah, the convertor locks up at 7000rpm, Norm the box builder and Neal Chance only want a 800-1200rpm drop from shift.

we took the Capri out again to WSID friday night for the Full Throttle Friday, same tune as last time and on the United E85 bowser fuel. we didn't get a chance to do the new tune on the good stuff.

it was a nice night for racing. however, we only got 3 passes, there was alot of cleanups. the funny cars, Top Fuellers etc slowed things down a but. we think we have found the limit of the pump E85 on 30psi, we were going to put another 3psi in but we didn't get another run. we are extrmemely happy with the little girl, alot of people criticise turbo's for not being consistent all 3 passes were within 5/100ths of a second, the first pass being the slowest as it was about 10 degrees warmer. ran a 8.42@164, then a 8.378@164 and a 8.370@164. we had alot of people coming up asking about the car, most called it the sleeper of the night, noone assumed it would run anywhere near what it does. which is what we like we got a few shakes of the head with people wondering how it all fit under the bonnet

we were hoping to go a smidge faster, but the 60's just weren't there, i put the boost up for the launches about 2psi, but, the fuel lacks the punch of the Race E85 we used to use and because of the lower torque output we can't get the 60's which is critical for the car as it doesn't have the top end charge like the big HP turbo cars. last Full Throttle Friday we were 60'in 1.36, we did a little better today with a 1.35 and 2 x 1.34's.

we seem to have got the tune for getting the car on boost pretty good. we had slight issues getting the car on the 2-step before, we leave on 5500rpm and 16psi. it's a big ask for a little 4L to get 124mm's of turbo spooling. but, we have it pretty much spot on now which is a big weight off the shoulders. no point having a race/bracket car if u can't cut a good light.

video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUlT863m8as

Last edited:
i have been running ELF racing fuel it is close to home for me to get, i did use the caltex eflex, the best it ran on that is 8.24 @ 169mph it went 135.95 at half track that was with a 1.40 60' , what i did notice is that the injectors had some black silicone looking stuff in the nozzel of the injector and it was on the flloors of the intake port, this is why i went to the elf, i think it is more consistance fuel.

i have been running ELF racing fuel it is close to home for me to get, i did use the caltex eflex, the best it ran on that is 8.24 @ 169mph it went 135.95 at half track that was with a 1.40 60' , what i did notice is that the injectors had some black silicone looking stuff in the nozzel of the injector and it was on the flloors of the intake port, this is why i went to the elf, i think it is more consistance fuel.

ok kool, we were looking into the Elf E85, we just deicded to make our own. the bowser E85 is good for driving around on the street only uses about 15L/100km and bracket racing. has been the most consistent of all the fuels of late. the convertor is locking up a little later now, around 7500rpm, gonna have to push the revs to 8500rpm or change the stator, it's starting to get a little higher in the revs than we wanted, it only runs smallish cams [email protected] .400 lift

Good to see you had her all fixed and out there running some impressive numbers again.

I had my first outing Saturday night too since my conversion to E85. Have got to say, I know everyone told me it was the way to go, but just didn't realize it would make such a difference. With just the change in fuel and a couple extra psi boost, I gained another 70rwhp and 100ft lbs, even with it sucking in 38deg air. Very happy with that, made a big diff to the car. Had a couple issues at the track which we need to sort out, including a new found traction problem, haha. But still gained an easy couple mph over my winter pb, even with having to short shift it. Def looking forward to making the most of the new found power.

Good to see you had her all fixed and out there running some impressive numbers again.

I had my first outing Saturday night too since my conversion to E85. Have got to say, I know everyone told me it was the way to go, but just didn't realize it would make such a difference. With just the change in fuel and a couple extra psi boost, I gained another 70rwhp and 100ft lbs, even with it sucking in 38deg air. Very happy with that, made a big diff to the car. Had a couple issues at the track which we need to sort out, including a new found traction problem, haha. But still gained an easy couple mph over my winter pb, even with having to short shift it. Def looking forward to making the most of the new found power.

good stuff, yeah it's definitely worth converting. extra torque and hp with a cheaper fuel how can u go wrong. better throttle response, car runs cooler, smells better :p

:p yeah ur right about that. especially if the track is sticky, if it hooks up, see ya later tranny.
A $100 drive shaft caused $1000 damage.. New C4 case etc including new main shaft..
Thinking bearing less uni joints ??
C/M drive shaft..
C4 ... Ford man through and through...

Fopar,
You tried the sucagen ( spelling) E85 ?
same stuff as v8 supercars

i can get that stuff @cost in 205's

yeah nice C/M shaft will do the trick. there's a guy here in Blacktown makes some good shafts, name has escaped me.

ash, nah haven't tried it. stick to the United for the street and try the new drum stuff see how it goes.

we went out to the Full Throttle Friday last night @ Sydney Dragway. we wanted to get Elliot used to the car, he has only raced a fast (11.1@119) car once in the last 4 years. and thought it was about time he started to learn how to drive the Capri with the turbo setup. we left the car on the United E85 bowser fuel.

Elliot wanted to start off slow, having never run faster than a 10.5@127 he thought he would feel comfortable running with 21psi (700rwhp) which would roughly be around a high 8-sec pass.

PASS 1: staged the car nicely. up on the 2-step, Elliot launches, having never raced a car with a transbrake before, he took his finger off the button and then off the pedal as well. he jumped back onto it, crossed the line with an 11.5@152 he said it felt slow so he didnt pull the chute. ANDRA official came and told him he was going a lil too fast in the braking area :evill

PASS 2: this was a much better pass, foot stayed on the pedal. the car was going for the wall but Elliot stayed into it and steered the car back over to the centreline. stopped the clock with an 8.73@156

we asked him if he wanted to turn the wick up now, he said he wanted 1 more clean run before we put in a couple more psi.

PASS 3: foot slips off the accelerator, gets back on it and rolls thru with a 10.9@152, he was not happy with himself.

PASS 4: still on 21psi. no brain malfunction or foot slippage, a nice str8 pass of 8.74@156

we get back to the pits Elliot is very happy, he can't believe how smooth and how easy the car is going down the track, he felt very comfortable. i asked him if he wanted me to put a couple more psi in he said yeah, put it on full boost 30psi :D

having only made 2 clean passes and running 2-sec and 30mph faster than he ever has, i asked him if he was sure. he said yeah, it was his call so i did as he wanted ;)

PASS 5: before he was letting the other cars go then he was bringing the car up on boost, this time he decided to try and cut a light. went in, brought the car up on the 2-step nicely, lights come down and he is off like a rocket, car running straight as an arrow and crossing the line with a 8.28@166mph. that is a new PB using the pump E85.

PASS 6: last run of the night. brings it up nicely, i put an extra 1.5psi on the launch and it carries the tyre to around the 100ft mark, it 60'd the best of the night a 1.30. Elliot not being used to it carrying the tyre so far, had both hands on the wheel and was a little slow on the shift it just hit the limiter (8900rpm) it throws a bit of smoke out but keeps hammering along for a 8.29@165

was hard to believe just how good the car and Elliot performed last night. noone thought Elliot would feel so comfortable so quick and go so fast in only a couple of passes. being 100lbs lighter than Joe we knew the car could go fast if Elliot could handle it. very consistent smooth runs. we are ecstatic.

video of the passes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek3eoho4n5A

That is one lucky boy right there, being able to get behind the wheel of such an impressive car, especially being someone else's. I'm sure Joe would've been like an anxious father watching on? Haha.

Must say though, he certainly handled the car very well. Especially being such a major step up in performance from what he had previously driven. Definitely some good driving. Will he be driving the car on a regular basis?

That is one lucky boy right there, being able to get behind the wheel of such an impressive car, especially being someone else's. I'm sure Joe would've been like an anxious father watching on? Haha.

Must say though, he certainly handled the car very well. Especially being such a major step up in performance from what he had previously driven. Definitely some good driving. Will he be driving the car on a regular basis?

Joe's pretty relaxed he trusts Elliot because he listens. having not driven for 4 years i would have thought Elliot might have been a little worried, but that passed quickly.

yeah Elliot wants to drive more regularly, his missus is about to drop so i'm not sure how the schedule will be :confused: he is 100lbs lighter than Joe as well, the car is happier when it doesn't have to carry Joe :p

Quote;
"the car is happier when it doesn't have to carry Joe"
Aha
What about traction issues LOL..
I can relate to that !!!Aha

Quote;
"the car is happier when it doesn't have to carry Joe"
Aha
What about traction issues LOL..
I can relate to that !!!Aha

even Joe admitted it himself :D

still good traction wise, had about 18psi off the line, by 100ft its on 30psi, the 8.29 pass was a 1.30 60' had he not hit the limiter it would have been a low 8.2, did a 1.32 on the 8.28 pass. with Joe the previous FTF it was 1.34 60' track is not the best on Full Throttle Fridays. the car lives or dies on the 60' as it doesn't have the top end charge.

thinking back now, theoretically, had the car 60'd a 1.28 like it did on it's 8.20 pass. instead of 1.34 with Joe driving, that 8.37 should have been 8.25, Elliot's 8.28 should have been a 8.20 which on that fuel is bloody awesome as on the dyno the car was showing a good whack more power. the leads were really hampering the power. shame we worked it all out when we decide to go to the pump E85 :p

hey guys, quickie update. went out again on Saturday. same bowser E85 tune, this time with Joe back at the wheel. track improved over the day and air was good, was seeing 30-31psi going down the track. few eBoost2 tweaks and some tyre pressure changes, got Joe's bowser E85 best to 8.30@166 only 2/100ths off Elliot's time. but, the good thing that came out of it we got a MPH PB of 167.14 we are happy as to say the least. the little motor has seen over 200 dyno and track passes and she is as happy now as she was when she was done. she will be opened up and freshened up if needed after the new year. got some pretty nice air off of one of the launches.

got video's from behind and from the stand. thanks to Mark www.fpv.net.au for the vid and pic. he is a great supporter of us drag racers

768_2700306182948_1115465092_32909978_1325486277_n.jpg

behind
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ_11c4d0SM

stands
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0S8EfmLTZk

also we hadn't done a drive home from the track video for a while. so here is an 8-sec 1UZ with a Powerglide and 7500rpm converter driving on the street :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE8Sx-Yqwc0

Back