Twin Turbo 1UZ 1970 Ford Capri street/strip car

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Some good results there for sure!

Tell you what, there must be something about these angry, short wheelbase Capri's, our racecar has tried to ride the rear bumper a few times now too, haha. Makes for a good show either way.

Those Neil Chance converter's definitely sound like some good gear. For the size of that one, it doesn't sound too flarey at all for normal street driving.

Some good results there for sure!

Tell you what, there must be something about these angry, short wheelbase Capri's, our racecar has tried to ride the rear bumper a few times now too, haha. Makes for a good show either way.

Those Neil Chance converter's definitely sound like some good gear. For the size of that one, it doesn't sound too flarey at all for normal street driving.

thanks, yeah we are much happier nowadays with the car, we seem to finally have a bit of luck and have it going consistently.

very happy with the converter, we were worried about the size and street driving as well, but first time in we were quite surprised, the yanks know their shit!

;) must be a Capri thing, have seen a few do the same myself, it does look pretty exciting :p

little update, re-doing the wiring on the fuel system. had a little incident about a month back. we took the car out, started popping and missing, we ran it up on the dyno, noticed very low fuel pressure, 2 of the 3 Bosch 044's were not working.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mnVSyD92vw

we thought the pumps were gone, but we pulled everything out and tested them, the pumps all worked. we looked further into it, all the wiring was melted, it was a mess. we are going to do a few more meets and then get the whole car re-wired, better safe then sorry.

amazingly, we didn't detonate the engine or hurt it in anyway. we tried a few different things, we thought fuel pumps, Elliot was driving at the time and not Joe, he said pressure was fine, we think he may have mis-read it. the plugs didn't show lean either, it was weird. gotta give credit to how good E85 is, did 4 passes and the AFR was between 14.7-16.5

surge tank is out, thought would take a few pics just to show how very basic it is, i have seen some crazy fuel pump setups in my time :p all up it's only about 25cm x 20cm x 15cm. surge tank has enough fuel for about 20km's.

3 x Bosch 044's good for 2100hp gasoline or 1400hp E85. for the new 1UZ combo we will more than likely need to add another pump. looking for 1400-1500hp with that motor.

001-50.jpg
002-39.jpg
003-38.jpg

No massif aeromotive?

I Have multiple pumps as well.....only s2 though ;) at the time I figured if one died at lest the other would get me home. Now the car is track only I'm thinking a single large pump is probably a better option as if it fails there's less chance of an engine failure than the would be if just one of the pair failed and I simply ran way lean?

your experience shows a big margin for error with E85, so maybe I'm worrying for no reason?

No massif aeromotive?

I Have multiple pumps as well.....only s2 though ;) at the time I figured if one died at lest the other would get me home. Now the car is track only I'm thinking a single large pump is probably a better option as if it fails there's less chance of an engine failure than the would be if just one of the pair failed and I simply ran way lean?

your experience shows a big margin for error with E85, so maybe I'm worrying for no reason?

that's the theory i had, especially with alcohol so went 1 mechanical fuel pump. my other brother had the same theory, he just didn't do it :p he runs 3 044's on the 2J also but 1 fuse, so if the fuse goes it cuts all 3, but Joe seems to want to run 3 fuses.

never good to starve an engine of fuel, but i believe running out of fuel is better than leaning it out.

yeah we have went lean on a few occasions with the motor, the times it has gone lean, we think it may have been the fuel pumps, who knows how long they have had a glitch for. every engine is different, we might not have popped a motor but doesn't mean someone else won't. best is to try and be as safe as possible and not rely on the i'll probably be alright if it happened method :p

Hopefully the ignition was choked of power too which also
caused the miss ???
Would wide band help ?? Set up as engine cut if too lean ???
Like over boost function ??
Yea good ole E85 is much safer !!! Possibly due too being able to run rich in the first place without loosing too much / any power ??? Compared to pump fuel...

it wouldn't rev over 6200rpm so that saved us a bit.

we already have wideband plugged into the ECU it's how we log. we also have it on the dash for Joe to see when he is driving. the EMS 8860 has all the engine kill features if we decide to run it. it doesn't matter how fat u run it, u lose 2 fuel pumps it's going to go lean no matter what. we are just lucky, things went in our favour :)

Last edited:
Definitely a bit of luck for you's there.

I am of the same opinion as Justen on this one. I was keen on the idea of having multiple pumps so as not to get stranded anywhere, but decided to go one large Fuelab pump in the end, seeing as it does more track work than street driving.

No matter how good the fuel is or how rich it's running, there is still always a chance as you've mentioned Paul. Definitely easier and cheaper to have to trailer the car home than removing the engine to replace/rebuild.

it wouldn't rev over 6200rpm so that saved us a bit.

we already have wideband plugged into the ECU it's how we log. we also have it on the dash for Joe to see when he is driving. the EMS 8860 has all the engine kill features if we decide to run it. it doesn't matter how fat u run it, u lose 2 fuel pumps it's going to go lean no matter what. we are just lucky, things went in our favour :)

Re active ignition system ?:eek:

Lol

Definitely a bit of luck for you's there.

I am of the same opinion as Justen on this one. I was keen on the idea of having multiple pumps so as not to get stranded anywhere, but decided to go one large Fuelab pump in the end, seeing as it does more track work than street driving.

No matter how good the fuel is or how rich it's running, there is still always a chance as you've mentioned Paul. Definitely easier and cheaper to have to trailer the car home than removing the engine to replace/rebuild.

i wish we didn't have to drive it there, saves us having to change the tyres etc :p we are making a move to a new class in APSA, X275 it means will ned to run radials, so all we would have to do at the track is put the chute on. we use the same plugs to race as we drive the car around on now and because the car needs to weigh minimum 3200lbs will leave the exhaust on, runs about 1/10th slower with the exhaust.

ash, you know you love the cdi/efi setup. you wish you didn't have to run magneto/MFI :p one day we will convert you or u will convert us

i wish we didn't have to drive it there, saves us having to change the tyres etc :p we are making a move to a new class in APSA, X275 it means will ned to run radials, so all we would have to do at the track is put the chute on. we use the same plugs to race as we drive the car around on now and because the car needs to weigh minimum 3200lbs will leave the exhaust on, runs about 1/10th slower with the exhaust.

ash, you know you love the cdi/efi setup. you wish you didn't have to run magneto/MFI :p one day we will convert you or u will convert us

But what fun would it be if you couldn't drive them to the track? Then you may as well just have one of those trailer queen chassis cars, haha :p

Awesome, I am looking forward to see how the new class goes. Sounds like there are quite a few ppl interested in it.

That's a funny coincidence, you guys are changing from slicks to radials, and James in the Hilux, has recently changed from radials to slicks. Not sure if it's for good. But he has been out to a few meetings these past weeks with some great new pb's. I seen he run an 8.02 at a meeting I raced at a couple weeks ago, and was told he apparently run an 8.00 @ 173 last Wednesday night. So very close now, haha.

On a side note, I see you got yourself a special little mention about your progress with FoPar in one of the latest Street Machine editions. Not too far off now hey?

But what fun would it be if you couldn't drive them to the track? Then you may as well just have one of those trailer queen chassis cars, haha :p

Awesome, I am looking forward to see how the new class goes. Sounds like there are quite a few ppl interested in it.

That's a funny coincidence, you guys are changing from slicks to radials, and James in the Hilux, has recently changed from radials to slicks. Not sure if it's for good. But he has been out to a few meetings these past weeks with some great new pb's. I seen he run an 8.02 at a meeting I raced at a couple weeks ago, and was told he apparently run an 8.00 @ 173 last Wednesday night. So very close now, haha.

On a side note, I see you got yourself a special little mention about your progress with FoPar in one of the latest Street Machine editions. Not too far off now hey?

it's fun driving to and from the track, you go out run a few low 8's and people shit themselves when you throw on the street tyres and drive home ;) alot don't believe it till they see it, the thing drives so smoothly on the street you wouldn't guess it runs what it does.

yeah saw James did the switch to slicks, he is soooooo close to a 7, ran a 8.008@174 i think it was on the Friday. hopefully now with everything sorted we can go out and PB. i think we need to get some practice on the radials at least get that sorted then keep trying for a PB. i'm hanging for the new engine to go in, but, i think for now he wants to try and crack a 7 with this one.

yeah my nugget is getting closer, im waiting on some turbo's got a sponsorship deal with Dragons Lair Motorsports and Precision Turbo's, they are sending me down a new set of turbo's, they need to be fitted and a few other little odd jobs here and there, want to get out mid-April and have a few hits. no hi-po Ford modular drag setups in Australia as of yet, i want to get out there on a 10.5W tyre and have a crack.

finally a day with no rain, we got a chance to take the car out and test yesterday. a couple little pops during the first burnout, but that coulda just been the plugs getting cleaned out a bit. after that was no popping during the passes or burnouts, fuel pressure was up around 60psi, confident that she is all good. ran a couple 9.60's, it was only on 15psi with lazy 1.5 60's. weren't looking to go fast, just wanted to test make sure fuel pressure etc was there under boost.

we are getting rid of the old Bosch Indy Blues and going with some Bosch 2000cc atomiser injectors, at the moment on the E90 the Indy Blues are running at a duty cycle of 86% @ 70psi the engine is making around 1150hp@30-31psi. hopefully, we will get some time to get the injectors in and take her down to Vince's and do a new tune on the good Race E90 fuel before Jamboree @ Sydney on March 31st. if we get the tune done and everything runs smooth, we are pretty confident of a new PB ;)

she might make a little more power and will definitely run better with these injectors, with the indy's it sometimes tends to hunt a little when driving. plus with the new higher comp engine that will be going in later this year, we want to make an extra 200-300hp with that engine, so this should be more than enough injector to do that.

001-52.jpg
002-41.jpg[/

Back