Twin Turbo 1UZ 1970 Ford Capri street/strip car

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
fixed..:p..............

they gonna have to have more than just sexy looking girls working for them to do that :p

how is Hi-Tec with ethanol/methanol? hard to get much info being an Aussie company. with Brad Penn we sorta went with them as its proven.

had the Supernats on the weekend, had a great time. apart from Sunday, because of the rain the day got cancelled but still Saturday had alot of fun. plenty of cruising and had a couple runs on the off street drags. couple of video's from the weeknd

in-car in the Capri
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkGOk-gKvRw

in-car in a mates car, cruising around with the Capri. Capri does a nice 150+km/h skid pass the Cortina with a little kiss flick :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPXanPbAhnc

off-street drag racing. rolling start so it's not really the best for the turbo guys
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6rHwn4QNZA

Ahh !!! Seen em on F/F ... Ahaha...
Didn't go.. Working on my 2 year project that went by about 18 month's ago...
Actually working on car trailer .. Fitting suspension and Ford hubs...
Don't ever weld axles to frame !!! Sheesh !!

they gonna have to have more than just sexy looking girls working for them to do that :p

how is Hi-Tec with ethanol/methanol? hard to get much info being an Aussie company. with Brad Penn we sorta went with them as its proven.

listed in catalogue as meth / nitro compatable
works ok in my junk, matt's engine is fine ( max's out a/f sensor @ 3.1 :cool:)

forgot to tell you,
i can get a custom oil made, to what ever spec, in a minium 600litre order

forgot to tell you,
i can get a custom oil made, to what ever spec, in a minium 600litre order

600L got a race car, not a fish n chip shop :p the Brad Penn stuff is working for now and alot of people have had no probs with it. we don't change the oil that often in the Capri. 600L would be enough for 20 years :p

after struggling with popping issues on higher boost, we went out Friday night with a set of mix 'n match Bosch leads we bought at SuperCheap Auto for less than $50. considering the other sets that were promised will be fine and cost over $200 a set we didn't expect much. we also decided to ditch the Race E85, for good old $1.20 a litre pump E85 from the bowser at United Petroleum in Rozelle. we took it down to Vince's on Thursday night after getting some disppointing numbers back on the dyno as we had to take a few degrees of timing out etc because the fuel was not up to par with the Race E85. we didn't expect much as it was running 8.20@166 on 900rwhp and this tune was over 100rwhp down on the same boost.

numbers aside tonight was mainly about getting out there and just making sure the car didn't pop. 1st pass, 10.0@159mph, cold track and the car just spun the tyres, but, main thing was not a single pop. we were all ecstatic, even moreso when we seen the mph as we were not expecting that on a clean pass let alone a pass like that. all we did was change tyres and put the chute on. he took the passengers seat out and put one of the Kirkey seats in. he still had his street seat plus the full exhaust (2 cats) the car weighed at least extra 90lbs, it was somewhere close to around the 3150lbs.

Joe kept asking if we should take the pipes off and give it a go, i was feeling lazy so i said no :p the car ran nice and consistent, at the end of the night, Joe had done a 8.54, 8.45 and [email protected], that was only 2.5mph less than the best it's ever went with the good race fuel and nearly 100lbs lighter. it's also the best time it has ever run with the pipes on, looking at the 60's they were about half a tenth slower than what we usually run with the pipes on. it would have been very interesting had we taken the pipes off and 60'd like usual. we bought a different type of ethanol race fuel now and some more boost is coming. wastegate spring pressure is once again limiting us. the e-boos2 is at 95% (30psi) so we only have about another 2-3psi left in it.

runs from Friday
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj0vPzWYThc

$200 custom leads vs $40 SCA leads
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO1Pq1kTRXM

who would have thought a $40 set of leads would have done the trick ;)

Last edited:
hello it james here, i own the blue hilux, it has the ttv8 in it like yours, the best it has run to date is 8.13 @ 169.8mph, this was at the shoot out here in brisbane, i built the engine and phill tune it on engine dyno, i trim up the tune when i go to the track [after scott showed me what buttons did what on the sm4], i see someone said on the forum that i was having trouble with my boost controller but i don't accutally have one [well there is one in the data logging dash but i have no idea on how to use it and need to pay $200 to unlock it]. when i leave the line at the track it reaches full boost in less than half a second, if the track is good the tyres can handle it, if the track is no good i may as well just go home. any way i hope to be racing in sydney next year at the shoot out.

hello it james here, i own the blue hilux, it has the ttv8 in it like yours, the best it has run to date is 8.13 @ 169.8mph, this was at the shoot out here in brisbane, i built the engine and phill tune it on engine dyno, i trim up the tune when i go to the track [after scott showed me what buttons did what on the sm4], i see someone said on the forum that i was having trouble with my boost controller but i don't accutally have one [well there is one in the data logging dash but i have no idea on how to use it and need to pay $200 to unlock it]. when i leave the line at the track it reaches full boost in less than half a second, if the track is good the tyres can handle it, if the track is no good i may as well just go home. any way i hope to be racing in sydney next year at the shoot out.

Hey James. This is Chris here with the supercharged white 1uz Hilux. Glad to see you made it in here to find this thread. I'm sure Paulie and yourself will have quite a bit to chat about.

Sorry about sharing the incorrect info too about the boost controller, that's a 'my bad' on my behalf for listening to second hand information. I have just been trying to keep the guys updated on here about your amazing progress. Great to see the improvements, your Hilux is always awesome to watch and hear.

How did everything go at the Super Sportsman event last weekend, sounded like you hurt something on the last run of the day?

hey James, i'm Paulie (owner of the car's brother) good to see you came on here mate. be good to get the word straight from the horses mouth.

Phil came over to say g'day a couple months back when he was here in Sydney, they have known each other for a long time. soon as we started to bring up your car we had to race :p didn't see him again. care to share the specs? all we know is what we read in Street Machine. at that time it was pretty much the same combo as ours. GT35's, .63 housings, Argo Rods, Ross Pistons. we use the 1.06 T3 housings now, not sure if u have made the change also. we assume something has changed considering the big mph your running.

what sort of 60' times have u been getting on the radials. we are considering changing. we leave the line at about 15psi by the 100' its on full boost.

you guys in QLD are lucky you get so many testing opportunities, we have had a few issues of late, but, going out this Friday hopefully we can get it sorted and run quicker.

Last edited:
gday mate, the engine still has the .63 ex housings on it, the only difference i can see between the engine from the exterior is that you are running the lower part of the mainifold and i have a custom made block which changes the angle of the entry of the port which has allowed me to run a shorter intake runner, maybe that is were the extra mph has come from,[i don't know]. i havn't change much since it came of the engine dyno, after i put the engine back in the car it felt strong, so i took it to the power play in january, i think it made 800hp at the tyres, the dyno operator got off the throttle at 7000 rpm because it was reading 14.1 afr to lean, so i fattened the tune up abit, but it didnt make much difference so then i took 10 pound out of it so i didnt hurt it, after that day i was scratching my head a bit, the next time i drove it the turbos were fluttering, this is my first turbo car i had no idea what this was, when it fluttered it lost all power. what i found was the fuel filters were blocked up, i think the filters were starting to blocking up on the engine dyno, i should have cleaned them when the engine went back in, now the engine was running very rich. got my licence and log book in may this year , ran the car at the track it went 9.1 157mph on 30 pound i was wrapped with that , the turbo 400 started to play up that day, so i save my money and bought a powerglide, a month had gone by, so i went back to the track with the glide in it went 8.9 , 8.7 , 8.5, @ 159mph this is with the engine still runnig rich so i started to trim the fuel and eventually it ran the 169mph this is how it has happened for me this was still on 30 pounds of boost, the day it 8.24 the track was prepped good as there was a few fast cars there for jamboree testing, then the next time i ran it at the shoot out it went 8.13 169mph the track was realy good that day, then a couple of weeks ago the track was good for a local meeting it went 8.20 168mph with a 1.34 60 foot, that the day it damaged the powerglide, its all better now.
we may have a lot of test and tunes up here but the track isn't always that good, my car has only very run fast at a race meeting, i guess.
the best 60 foot time i have done is a 1.28 on the radial, it is normally around the 1.30 mark [when the track is good].
i have tried to put more boost in it[4 pounds] all this does is creates more intake temp, and fluctuate between 30 and 34 pounds, i put this down to the intercooler been to small, thats all that will fit in the car. anyway good luck with it.

it was getting late last night had to go to bed, the car still weights close to 3000 pounds, i have taken some stuff out of it but have had to put other stuff back in it, in the cyc heads i have radius the short turn but that is it, have also replace the valve springs.

thanks mate, you 60' the same as us on a good track. what converter are you running in the glide? the head port seems the same as ours. will go a bit further with it next engine. we don't want to go too much as it still gets driven around alot.

best we could get on the .63's was 8.3@165 the turbo's were getting choked big time and from what people were saying they were out of puff at about 1100hp. on the dyno it was showing the same as u 800rwhp. at the track it was showing 1070hp at the engine car weighed 3070lbs. we put in a new race E85 fuel and put the boost up from 27psi to 30psi ran a [email protected] seems to be making about 50hp more now. we are going to put more boost in 33psi, wastegate springs dont allow more and see how it goes. ultimately would love to run a 7.

the factory lower manifold seems to be fine for now, but, we think there is a bit more power to be made with a setup like yours, the lower manifold does possibly restrict it a little. we are doing a whole new engine next year. more comp, bigger turbo's, less intercooler piping.

we found ours performs best with AFR around 11.6-12.0 has run 13-14's but only dropped 2mph so it was still making good power. thats the good thing with E85 lean or fat it's still pretty good compared to other fuels. try running it a little richer with more boost, the extra fuel should cool the air temps a bit. the guys in the US are running 30psi with no intercooler and E98. AFR is low-mid 10's though.

be good to see you at the APSA shootout, we will be going up to Willowbank next April for the one there. will be good having 2 little DOHC V8's showing the big cube pushrods how it's done :p

i have a jeff dell convertor from the convertor shop here in brisbane,from what the data logger shows it starts to slip from 5000rpm and locks up at 6000rpm, i leave the line at 4500rpm on the 2step at 14 to 15 pounds, i think i need to leave with more rpm but it is to aggresive with out a boost controller, i am new to drag racing never had nothing like this before, still trying to work it all out. i have built plenty of cars but never been involved with them at the track, all new to me.

i have a jeff dell convertor from the convertor shop here in brisbane,from what the data logger shows it starts to slip from 5000rpm and locks up at 6000rpm, i leave the line at 4500rpm on the 2step at 14 to 15 pounds, i think i need to leave with more rpm but it is to aggresive with out a boost controller, i am new to drag racing never had nothing like this before, still trying to work it all out. i have built plenty of cars but never been involved with them at the track, all new to me.

ok kool, you can also try increasing the 2-step a couple hundred rpm and see how it goes. what do you normally shift at? you're going great with it, i think i heard somewhere that OKE020 Scott Hoffman was going to drive it, if you keep haging around with guys like him you can't go wrong. guys like Scott and Jamie Farmer up in QLD are running fast numbers on the radials.

my wife was due to have a baby around the time of the jamboree, so i got scott to have a drive at a test and tune so he new the car. turns out i was able to drive it any way, i shift into top gear at 7900 normally.

my wife was due to have a baby around the time of the jamboree, so i got scott to have a drive at a test and tune so he new the car. turns out i was able to drive it any way, i shift into top gear at 7900 normally.

ok kool, we shift at the same. what diff gears are you running? 3.5's 28'' high tyre on the capri. but might need a bit of a change. it's crossing the line at just on 8000rpm. has a 7000rpm Neal Chance converter.

Back