Guess which new car did this dyno???

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
So its like a 6.2l engine...???

The power per displacement is a little better than the RW HP numbers of the 4.0 VVTi...

Correct, it is 6.2 liters. I knew someone would do the math!

So, what is this mystery engine?

It is the BASE engine for the 2008 Corvette!!!

Rated at 436hp @ 5900rpm and 428tq @ 4600 and with the dyno shown looks like these numbers may be conservative as that only gives less than a 10% drivetrain loss.

This 2 valve/cyl pushrod engine makes more RWHP/RWTQ than the DOHC VVTi 1UZFE and 3UZFE and is externally smaller and comparable in weight.

Now, do not get me wrong, the xUZFE is a great engine and what I drive BUT hard not to be impressed with what can be done with 2 valves with pushrods. Did I mention it has an EPA highway fuel economy rating of 26mpg and avoids the gas guzzler tax.

oh ya jibby, dont knock RVs http://www.dynosources.com/

Jake you have bit of attitude in your posts and I like that... It reminds me of myself years back.. My knowledge of Diesel's is some what suspect and I will agree with you on that... However, I do realize the diesel engines burn slower and the engines typically turn over slower and create less friction and heat compared to petrol running engines...That is why they are usually very torquey and last a very long time... However, I did think for some reason diesel motors rev'd to 6 gees on the RPM scales... I guess I figured wrong... I also thought a turbo on a Diesel motor would spin the motor faster and higher, is that not the case with Turbo Diesel's?

The worlds fastest RV, that's classic...Can you imagine pulling up to the red light and then getting smoked by a big arse RV in a straight drag...... I think I would burn my SC400 to the ground if that ever happened..

Correct, it is 6.2 liters. I knew someone would do the math!

So, what is this mystery engine?

It is the BASE engine for the 2008 Corvette!!!

Rated at 436hp @ 5900rpm and 428tq @ 4600 and with the dyno shown looks like these numbers may be conservative as that only gives less than a 10% drivetrain loss.

This 2 valve/cyl pushrod engine makes more RWHP/RWTQ than the DOHC VVTi 1UZFE and 3UZFE and is externally smaller and comparable in weight.

Now, do not get me wrong, the xUZFE is a great engine and what I drive BUT hard not to be impressed with what can be done with 2 valves with pushrods. Did I mention it has an EPA highway fuel economy rating of 26mpg and avoids the gas guzzler tax.
Pretty anticlimactic ending, considering all of the other corvette threads on the front page!

I was ganna say vette, then I looked it up cause I didnt know the engine options (cause I though it was 6.2) and I found somethin like 7L.

Cool though.

Thats is a sports car motor though--big diff. Ok the size per power--thats great though.

How about IS350? Go down a little.

http://clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3061089

275hp / 3.5L = 78.57 hp/L Even the torque band is quite impressive on that car.

I was ganna say vette, then I looked it up cause I didnt know the engine options (cause I though it was 6.2) and I found somethin like 7L.

Cool though.

Thats is a sports car motor though--big diff. Ok the size per power--thats great though.

How about IS350? Go down a little.

http://clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3061089

275hp / 3.5L = 78.57 hp/L Even the torque band is quite impressive on that car.

Yes, the IS350 is VERY impressive. The engine is very powerful and the IS chassis is actually based on the new GS class and is SOLID. The doors close with more "feel" than my LS400!!!

that's also the stock engine Gardner Douglass use for their cars.
they have LS2's and LS7's now. very expensive in this part of the world.
the debate about pushrods or not is not worth anything to me, if it works it works.
the LS7 in Steve's Lola T70 makes 630rwhp through a G50 box, and breathes through 8 kinsler throttle bodies + cam,
no boost no pistons no rods no nothing else. so their up to quite some more NA than what we're used to.

is that the LS9 version btw that everyone is talking about?

Grtz Thomas

I just realized something. This Modular Depot place that the dynosheet reads is actually 5 minutes away from my house. I passed by it just today, actually.

that's also the stock engine Gardner Douglass use for their cars.
they have LS2's and LS7's now. very expensive in this part of the world.
the debate about pushrods or not is not worth anything to me, if it works it works.
the LS7 in Steve's Lola T70 makes 630rwhp through a G50 box, and breathes through 8 kinsler throttle bodies + cam,
no boost no pistons no rods no nothing else. so their up to quite some more NA than what we're used to.

is that the LS9 version btw that everyone is talking about?

Grtz Thomas

Great points, I love engines period. Pushrod or DOHC, SOHC or electronic valve activation... doesn't matter.

The 7.0 liter LS7 is a BEAST with 6 bolt mains, forged crank and pistons and titanium rods stock.

The dyno is of the LS3. The LS9 is the upcoming supercharged version rated 620hp and will probably make high 500's rwhp stock.

So which is a better engine the LS7 or the LS9?????....In other words which engine would you prefer to own and have???? I think the LS7 is still the call, no?

Base corvette is really such a good performance deal for new cars. So really the base corvette is pushing about 460hp stock. Stock ZO6's dyno 440rwhp, so one could buy a base vette and with simple bolt ons be easily at ls7/z06 stock levels for a lot less.

I was going to say the base 08 Vette as well, but when I did the math, I could not quite get to the RWHP and TQ on the Dyno sheet provided by John. Error in my calculations...So, I waited to see which it was. Gotta say, the Vette is an awesome piece of machinery...And they are sprucing up the interior to combat the plasticky complaints many state about the interior...For an added cost, of course...

Ryan

sillicon is added to the alloy so they're eutectic+ I might add,(whatsit called)
so a little stronger than what we're normally used to, I understand that the 2jzgtte pistons and maybe allso the other pistonds in that fammily aswell as 4age 20V pistons are also made like that.

grtz Thomas

ps those are the only engines I would sell my 1uz for, either an LS2 or an LS7. Now please don't shoot me..... if I had the money I would because of originality in a Lola not because of the engine itself.

sillicon is added to the alloy so they're eutectic+ I might add,(whatsit called)
so a little stronger than what we're normally used to, I understand that the 2jzgtte pistons and maybe allso the other pistonds in that fammily aswell as 4age 20V pistons are also made like that.

grtz Thomas

ps those are the only engines I would sell my 1uz for, either an LS2 or an LS7. Now please don't shoot me..... if I had the money I would because of originality in a Lola not because of the engine itself.

Yes, there are more than a few examples of eutectic "type" pistons on factory turbo and high output engines. Your example, the mighty 2JZGTE being the king of factory tough that I am aware of.

You should add the LS3 (436hp) to that list as well as the upcomming LS9 (620hp)

Quality cast pistons are just as good as Forged....
All the top quality pistons have silicon in them..Not that they advertise too much their alloy brew????
It helps in expansion as well as wear so they can run tighter clearances...

Quality cast pistons are just as good as Forged....
That's a bold statement and is OK up to a point, but be wary if you are using high rpm and piston speeds, a cast piston will not hang together.

Would you run your engine to 8000+ rpm on cast pistons ?

That's a bold statement and is OK up to a point, but be wary if you are using high rpm and piston speeds, a cast piston will not hang together.

Yes you are right.. But again there are some Forged pistons I wouldn't rev too high either.. The OLD TRW pistons are way too heavy.. Yes too many variations, in the end its cost and power - reliable power costs money !!!

Yes piston speed is an issue and so is weight. A cast piston is much different to a cast piston 10 or 20 years ago...Some Jap engines rev quite hard on std cast pistons...

Hey Erol,

they quite often do that in 4age 16v's over here, 8500rpm rev limiter on the 750mc sylva engines. those are not forged by my knowledge...
the 2L vauxhall engines are also cast eutectics and seem to hold up.

grtz Thomas

Back