power steering leak

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

jun

I started using my old 1994 LS400 with only 40tmiles. I have this leak under the power steering pump. I changed the vaccum control valve but its still leaking. Im afraid to bypass the valve because it might affect the idle and another part. Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks for the reply, I dont see any leaks from the pump.Do I still rebuild it? It works perfectly when i fill it up with fluid- very quiet and light. The next day after filling it up, I thought air just went up so I filled it up again with fluid but now after 3 days, it keeps on draining.

Yeah, watch out for that alternator positioned directly under the pump itself...The power steering pump leaks are known for taking out the alternator as well...

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 8
Thank you very much for all your replies, it was starting to drip to the alternator. I brought it to the dealer already. You all have been a big help

jun said:
Thank you very much for all your replies, it was starting to drip to the alternator. I brought it to the dealer already. You all have been a big help
Ouch! The dealer should have taken a few nice meals from you. The steering pump and its components are easy to fix. First, jack up the car and trace the oil to see where it comes from. If the hose leaks, replace the hose. Most of the hoses that have similar diameter and shape will do. I used a $2 hose and it worked fine. A dealer hose costs around $40. And if the pump leaks, buy the rebuild kit from the dealer and fix it yourself. This kit costs about $55. If you want, I'll link the instruction for you.

I already replaced my PS pump and alt on my 93 sc400 but i still found small puddles. The mechanic told me that even if i did replace the pump, the PS line was still leaking. He said that replacing it would cost ALOT so i was wondering if this was a common problem that i could easily fix?

joodafoo said:
I already replaced my PS pump and alt on my 93 sc400 but i still found small puddles. The mechanic told me that even if i did replace the pump, the PS line was still leaking. He said that replacing it would cost ALOT so i was wondering if this was a common problem that i could easily fix?
It's pretty easy to replace the hoses. Make sure to follow this link's procedure to properly flush/install the hoses back. Here's the link: http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/steering/psflush.html.

Attachments

• airplane_1uzfe.JPG
    airplane_1uzfe.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 233
Ok, dubble checked myself and yes, increase spring pressure will increase system pressure. I works the same way as the oil pressure control setup does for the engine oil, once the pressure overcomes the spring tension on the valve, the valve opens and allows flow to bypass back insted of only going to rack so increase spring will allow the system to opperate at a higher pressure. Just remember though, if the pump can not match the volume that the rack requiers then this will do nothing for you. The pump has to exceed flow over what the rack wants or better said, in order to generate pressure, there has to be excessive flow....

The valve and spring is located beind the high pressure outlet of the pump. The high pressure line is threaded into the valve and spring retainer which is threaded into the pump housing. Basically remove the high pressure line and then the adapter fitting that it was threaded in to and inside you will find the valve and spring.

Ok, dubble checked myself and yes, increase spring pressure will increase system pressure. I works the same way as the oil pressure control setup does for the engine oil, once the pressure overcomes the spring tension on the valve, the valve opens and allows flow to bypass back insted of only going to rack so increase spring will allow the system to opperate at a higher pressure. Just remember though, if the pump can not match the volume that the rack requiers then this will do nothing for you. The pump has to exceed flow over what the rack wants or better said, in order to generate pressure, there has to be excessive flow....

The valve and spring is located beind the high pressure outlet of the pump. The high pressure line is threaded into the valve and spring retainer which is threaded into the pump housing. Basically remove the high pressure line and then the adapter fitting that it was threaded in to and inside you will find the valve and spring.
Please disregard to posted above (the one quoted here) somehow it ended up in this thread.... How, I have no idea and due to the BS 5 min rule, I cant delete it..... Sorry guys.

For power steering leaks use - Powersteering stop leak

For oil leaks use - Engine oil stop leak

Radiator leak - Radiator stop leak

Can be purchased at any autoparts store for $3... Only works on small seal leaks half the time though...