rotary running gear

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

urtwhistle

hey all,
im new to this scene and i'm trying to work out every thing on paper for when i build my car.

i will be putting a lexus v8 into a 240-260z 1 way or another.

i have been trying to find which will be the best running gear for this swap. being that i live in perth there are a hell of alot more rotary then supra's around. and i shore as hell aint gonna attepmt and ford or holden gear box swaps because there plane and simply weak apparently.

does any 1 know if u can get a rotary 5 speed to bolt to a v8? i know dellows make adapter bell houseings but im not sure what model name or number or brand im looking for when i look at gear boxs in the post.

if any 1 can tell me wat im going to need to do this swap it will be greatly appreciated

urty

Nothing that ever went into a standard rotary is going to take the grund of the V8.

Rotary engine produce negligable torque but gobs of HP. That is why you have to rev the whatsists off them to make em go. I had a rotary powered MGB in the early 70's (showing my age) and it wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding until 4,000rpm at which point it went started to get going. Would rev to 8,000 no worry but still no torque to speak of.

If you want to go manual the only choice is Toyota if you want longevity.

ok cheers man, soo a supra 5 speed is the go,
which should i go for or mores the point which 1's shouldnt i touch. my goal in the end is to be having 350 hp at the wheels 1 day
cheers

i have a s5 13b turbo in my ae86 sprinter.... standard box is weak as... will swap out for an r154 when i can afford another one.

here (sydney) most of the big rotor boys are running supra boxes behind their turbo 13b's.. that should tell you how tuff the toyo boxes are... heck, even the holden/ford boys are running supra boxes behind their boat anchors.

Zuffen said:
Rotary engine produce negligable torque but gobs of HP. That is why you have to rev the whatsists off them to make em go.

you obviously haven't driven a rotor then...

they make just as much torque as their piston counterparts - just at a different RPM.

max torque on a std rotor is at 4000rpm. THAT'S why you have to rev them to make them move. not because they 'have no torque'. port the bejeezus out of it and that goes higher again (like 7000 for a peripheral port - with a max redline of 10,500).

different engine, different delivery characteristics.

and the rotor box's input shaft is too short for the lexus engine by the looks of it anyways. and there's adapters for the supra box, which has already proven itself, have a variety of ratios and is a magic box to drive, so yeah, stick with that.

pro240C,

I did the first rotary engine into something else swap some years before you were concieved. Race 12A and transmission in an MGB in 1971. 130rwhp was a lot in those days.

Sorry I have plenty of rotor miles under my old belt!

I agree a rotary has torque but not in a place where it is going to feed lots of it to the transmission at inoportune times.

The commonest transmission failure is when the vehicle is moving from a standing start. It is easy to feed too much torque to a piston engine's drivetrain by using 2,000rpm off the mark and the clutch won't complain too much. Try 4,000 at every set of traffic lights in your rotary and you'll get used to changing clutches.

We need to look at how vehicles/engines are driven.

ah but you didn't say that. you said they had negligible torque. ah never mind, i think i know where you were coming from now.

i used to race my RX7 from a 5000rpm standing start and trust me, you don't ride the clutch at those revs. you ease it out for about half a second and then step off it and then your front wheels stand up! you only lose about 1000rpm this way and then you're on power at max torque.

just wish i could have reclaimed first gear on the street with a higher diff ratio!

Back