Ford GT40

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

cribbj

"Supra" Moderator
Staff member
I had the great fortune to spend the day with the owner of this very nice GT40 replica. He's an old f*rt like me, ex-racer, and still likes to pretend once in awhile. Where I drive a high powered street car and pretend it's a race car, he drives a high powered race car and pretends it's a street car :veryhappy

Anyway, a real nice piece of work, with a Ford 302 small block, bored out to 347, Eagle crank & rods, and lots of other good stuff. Currently has a Holley 650 double pumper, but he has a TWM ITB fuel injection system ready to go on, along with an Electromotive EMS. He's done most of the work, including all the sheet metal paneling, and lengthening the chassis to accept the Porsche G50 transaxle. He reckons he's making around 400-450 BHP now, and in a 2400 lb car, it can really paste your eyeballs back. I kept thinking how good a 1UZ would look in there..... but then it wouldn't be a "faithful" replica.....

Few years ago I was very crazy about 427 Cobra Kit car and the GT40 Kit car. I read alot of articles in different forums and felt in love with them since. My biggest dream would be a GT40. There are few makers in Australia, NZ, England and USA. I think www.factoryfive.com was making one. However, that was like 5 years ago.

you what that car could do with? a real 427 Ford Nascar engine, like used in the real GT40. without the restrictor plate of course :P

A sad comment on GT40's

In 1966 I was in Paris (I was also 13) when Le mans was running.

I watched it on grainy French black & white TV.

The GT40's won and there was I less than 100 miles away watching it on TV.

One day my wife and I will see the entire race live. Cool thing is she wants to do it!

oh man to see it in those days. My dad was u.k born and he was all over Le Mans in the 60's and loves to tell me about, lucky dude, must have been a facinating event in those times.

WDoherty said:
nice! where did he get the kit from? do they make adapters for ford small block to the g50?
His kit was made by "Roaring Forties" of South Africa and Australia, however they're no longer in business.

The people who are currently making GT40 replicas are:

Tornado: UK
MDA: UK
CAV: South Africa
Superformance: South Africa
DRB Sports Cars: Australia
ERA: USA
Race Car Replicas: USA

Superformance are the only replica maker to have won/bought the rights to use the name GT40 on their car, and the Shelby factory are actually subcontracting many of their parts to them as well.

Factory Five do not make a GT40 replica, but they make a very nice Cobra replica. They're also coming out with their own version of supercar, called the GTM which is basically all 'Vette running gear, with a Factory Five chassis and body.

Few more pics of the '40:

Zuffen said:
A sad comment on GT40's

In 1966 I was in Paris (I was also 13) when Le mans was running.

I watched it on grainy French black & white TV.

The GT40's won and there was I less than 100 miles away watching it on TV.

One day my wife and I will see the entire race live. Cool thing is she wants to do it!
Mate you should come along!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As long as you can handle the beer, the French, the beer, the heat, the beer, the sweat, the beer, the flies, the beer, the noise, the beer, the hairy arsed speed driving down from the UK through rural northern France.... and the beer....... you're more than welcome to come with me and the boys on our annual jolly.

I've got a 427 Cobra Replica (now with go-faster Le Mans Coupe roof moulded from an original) which I take down and the rest of the boys have kit like a couple of TVR's a 996C4S, a mental Areal Atom and the odd Masser etc etc.

For me the drive down is the best bit as the roads are fantastic and we all give it some stick. None of us are mad to the point of extremely dangerous but we all enjoy fast hacking and pushing the handling of the cars much more than normat street driving. I've had 150 mph a couple of times out of the Cobra, but I'm afraid the laws of physics take over as the first year, I didn't have the roof just the glass screen, and at that speed it just couldn't cope and eventually gave up, cracked and folded back in on me. Nice! Then with the roof on last year the aerodynamics improved greatly so acceleration over 100mph was very rapid but again at 150 mph it proved too much and the speedo broke in protest when the glued on magnet for the sensor on the prop gave up and is probably buried in France tarmac somewhere! ;o) My mate had 180mph out of his '98 Cerbera (avec smoke) and another Mate had 176 out of his porker. Incidentally, exactly what the owners manual said it would do! ha ha

No pretentions. None of us are rich but we work hard and love our cars. We all slum it in the camp sites surrounded by some decent cars but none of us in a tent worth more the 20 quid! ;o) The average age is high 30's (probably 40)and there's a good mix (including a couple of Antipodeans) so the odd old coffin dodging pisspants crim like you wouldn't be out of place. ;o)

Caste iron gullets are needed as the beer ultimately get's warm and the food (Merguez spicy hot dog style in a baguette) usually cooled off by the time you get it. There are just so many people there. Apparantly it's the biggeest mass migration for Brits every year as I think it's about 125,000 go over. It's a great atmosphere with many of the drinking races (Brits/Germans/Scandanavians) kicking back and enjoying the relaxed atmosphere together.

Mate, it's absolute heaven. I've been 3 times in a row and start looking forward to it as soon as I come home each year. You have an open invitation to jump on a plane and hitch a ride with me or one of the boys. The only caveat is that if you don't drink enough you get left as some French Service station to find your own way home! LOL. In all honesty you could hitch a lift with us and if it get's too much there's always someone looking to ease back a bit.

The only way we as a group have met is through introductions and 'blind date' style attendees. That's how I joined in. Some enjoy our company and keep coming back. Others just for the one year. There's no falling out and

This year is not looking good for me as starting a new venture and piss poor broke (that's why I couldn't do Rodder's Rods Group Buy) and if I do go it will be last minute and probably as a passenger but by F**K I will be going next year!

So for June 16th weekend if I'm going, pack a tent, and a gold card and some sunnies and get on that bastard plane. I'll pick you up from Heathrow as it's on the way to Dover!!!!!!

Oh I forgot to say there's a race on and it ain't bad! :o)

WDoherty said:
oh man to see it in those days. My dad was u.k born and he was all over Le Mans in the 60's and loves to tell me about, lucky dude, must have been a facinating event in those times.
....and you mate. You can hold Rodders hand. :o)

My favorite is the 1966 Shelby Cobra 427, unfortunately too buy a non replica you need more money then the Queen of England has....

not really. there arent THAT expensive, not to mention i dont think the Queen of England is quite as rich as you imply.

Skid,

Your annual migration sounds exactly what Helen and I see as fun!

This year we fly out to the UK on the 22/6 so the race is run and won before I get to the land of warm beer Football hooligans!

When we do sort out our calendars to make it you will be hearing from us.

Helen's dad is from the UK so she can drink like a fish.

Just curious,what one of these go for?If you could find one..Beautiful shape..Hmm Now iv a mate with a Dino..bit of mod here n there...

John,

To stay loyal to our engines. I would put in a 5.0 liter (stroke of the 4.0) and put in two T3 turbos. Its a rear mount i have heard transaxial is very expensive.

GT40 kits start at around $25,000 for a body, a chassis, and many boxes of parts. They top out around $75,000 for a car that is complete "minus" the engine & transmission. At the low end, the cars will take 900-2000 hours of sweat equity to finish. At the upper end, they'll take 40-60 hours to finish.

Used GT40's can be found in the $50K's and sometimes lower (all USD's). As with any "project" car, the only person that is sure to lose money is the first owner.....

Roaring Forties ceased trading recently and left a number of people holding the bag. Some had paid only $5K or so for deposits, but one or two took a $30K bath. Interesting that their website still works: http://www.roaringforties.com.au/index.html

David, wifey has already given her blessing for one of these GT40's, on the condition that I sell the two Supra's. This is one "desperate housewife" who'll agree to anything to get her garage space back :veryhappy

I may just mothball my 1UZ motor once it's finished, sell the black Supra, then go full bore on the V12 project for the blue Supra, and start planning for a 1UZ powered GT40. 450-500 BHP is plenty for one of these cars since they only weigh 2500 lbs, and I was thinking I could get that power level out of the 1UZ with 10-15 psi of supercharger boost. I'm just not a fan of having a big pushrod V8 sitting behind me, sounding like, well, a big pushrod V8. I think a well built boosted 1UZ would be just the ticket for one of these cars, except it wouldn't be "true" to the marque.

Anyway, there's certainly a lot to be said for having a 1966 registered street legal racecar to play with, instead of the nightmare we all face now, called OBDII compliance..

Back