Busted for speeding......

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

jibbby

Well fellas I have a story to share with you all.... I was out cruising last night and rolling in my SC400 and on the way to pick up a friend...Anyway, the nos was armed it is Saturday night and I am looking to smoke someone if the opportunity presents it's self...:smokin: I was on a fairly busy street and at this red light when what pulls up next to me? A "smokey and the bandit" old school Pontiac Trans AM, you know the heavy beast with huge V8 engine, I think I saw the hood say 6.6 liters. Anyway this old baby I think was not stock, and was rumbling and shaking at the stop..I was a little nervous but said let's give it a go, that car weighs a ton. I was also thinking to myself, oh no not this street, busy street at times, cops may be around, and this boy wants to race me.. That thought passed fast and then I proceeded to tap the gas and edge forward as I could not resist the temptation of a good race.

Ok the light turns green and we both punch it and start spinning those rears and are bolting down the street and as I suspected that old Trans Am is hanging and right next to me with my nos going neck and neck for a little while, then I hit second gear and slowly edge away. I immediately shut it down and hit the brakes at around 60mph and he keeps going and speeding.. Then what do I see next in my rear view mirror? Yeap the flashing lights of a cop car a half a block away coming on...:eek:

Anyway, I get pulled over and the other guy gets away, just my luck...:worried: The officer was a young guy and says to me "what are you doing racing on this street?" I say, I slowed down after one block officer and that other fella kept speeding off, I tried to play it safe, why didn't you go after him? He then said may I see your license and registration.. I gave him my info and said officer I hardly race ever and try to be as safe as possible when I do race.. I also want you to know that you will destroy me if you give me an exhibition of speeding ticket as I already have one on my record from years ago, please show mercy officer, I am a good guy...(trying the sympthy approach) He then says to me I will be right back. So he then checks my license and comes back to my car and says you know I should atleast give you a speeding ticket but since you seem like a good guy I am just going to give you a fix it ticket for your modified exhaust... I smiled ear to ear and said officer I thank you so much and I will keep it slow...I was pleasantly suprised.. :veryhappy

That was a close one to say the least, however, now I need to try and get my exhaust ticket signed off or remove the straight thru mufflers and put some quieter ones on and slow my ride.. Thinking maybe Corvette or Camaro stock mufflers if I can't get this signed off as is.. This is a long shot, but I need to ask if anyone knows how I can get around this fix it ticket in LA, California?

Yeah that Trans AM is one big peice of metal on wheels, but very strong out of the blocks...Big engine big power... That was a clean older modified car.....I liked it kind of I think:147: This is a picture I found off google....OLD SCHOOL...

i dont imagine its too stable in the high ranges though, even with that spoiler. the back may find traction, but it looks like the front would lift.

I didn't notice the front end lift, but I did notice the black hood jump out in front of me by almost a half car length and I also noticed the roar of that big motor over mine. Thank god for nos or I would have been destroyed. Oh, and yes they do grip off the line very well but not as good as the newer Vette's or Porsche C4's...

Wow! Congrats on your race! Do I seem odd when you have a ticket? Nah. I was kidding. Honestly, I feel sorry for the ticket. I think you can put the stock mufflers on and go to the police or PCH station to have the ticket signed off. You can weld the flanges on. On each exhaust side, have one flange on the system's pipe, one flange one the hi-flow muffler, and maybe one flange on the stock muffler. By doing this, you can swap the mufflers in and out pretty quick. You don't actually have to position the stock mufflers like in stock position. You only need to have them there for verification.

***Important. California vehicle codes allow a muffler (aftermarket one is ok) to have a maximum of 95 decibels, which is kinda loud. A 9mm ammo round also explodes at around 94-95 decibels. You can either bring your car to a certified shop to test for the decibels and then bring the certificate to the court that has the jurisdiction on that ticket to clear off the ticket. Or you can just quietly swap in the stock mufflers, bring your entire car to a police station to verify the change, and then you'll still need to go to court to pay the ticket. I think it's not much. I used to pay $10 for other kinds of fix ticket years ago, which I don't remember. Good luck!

p.s: You're very lucky that the cop didn't check under the hood or request you to go for an engine check-up. That's when you'll have to uninstall the NOS lines. Without the Nos, the fuel line/computer will also need to be retuned for normal drive. You can have the NOS system there but all the lines have to be disconnected.

I'd say good kill, but in stock form, those old Trans Ams had very little hp (but a bunch of torque). A fully loaded one weighs 4000+ lbs (mine weighed 3900), and they have 2.48 rear end gears and no overdrive. In stock form, they also only rev to 4500 rpm. Gotta love the bad old days of band-aids to meet smog laws.

Oh, and they are dead stable at speed. The front lip spoilers are good enough to keep the nose down and the rear stays planted.

You got damn lucky on the ticket! Congradulations! :approve:

Thanks Steve for the lowdown on the fix it ticket. Going to court is always a pain in the neck in LA so I will probably throw on and off the stock mufflers. I just wish I would have kept my old mufflers.. Oh well...... Just need to hit the yards for some used, clogged up, restrictive, non flowing, engine choking stock mufflers..

Chris, like I said I really don't think this old beast I raced was stock... that engine was crackling at the red light and sounded modified, and that crackling/rumbling noise I don't think was from a header leak or the engine being out of tune either.. I am sure it wasn't supercharged or turbo'd but it was jamm'in for an older heavy car.... I don't see too many of those cars around anymore, but that one was really clean and fast... When looking at older American beasts I still prefer the older 68 Chevelle's ss, Nova ss, etc.. even the older pontiac GTO's were nice. In my opinion I really think the late 1960's produced the best older American muscle machines...Don't you agree?.. I think the 70's and 80's cars were nothing special...

The TPI Iroc's....I owened one of those for short time very pepy with a good stock torque converter.. However, the Ford Mustang manufactures may disagree with you statement Anaema....

Amaema - They didn't get good looking in 2006 either buddy.....Only the 66 mustang converible is the only good looking Mustang . I don't think we can consider Shelby's in this chat either... Just never liked the looks of the Mustangs....Just my opinion..

jibbby said:
Amaema - They didn't get good looking in 2006 either buddy.....Only the 66 mustang converible is the only good looking Mustang . I don't think we can consider Shelby's in this chat either... Just never liked the looks of the Mustangs....Just my opinion..
Gotta disagree, jibbby. the '06-05 Mustangs are the first Mustangs since the '70 model that I'd buy brand new. Absolutely stunning grasp of how to make a modern car have cues of it's ancestors. Of course, Chip Foose had a hand in refining the proportions. I can find examples I like from every generation of Mustang, but few of them are stock. Even of the Mustang II...

My favorites are the '70 BOSS 302, the '64-66 convertibles and fastbacks, then the '05-up. In fact, the '05-up Mustang V8 is one of the few new cars I've actually considered laying out my hard earned money for. And this is after almost 30 years of working on cars from around the world, and owning over a hundred different cars...

ChrisV to each his own, everyone has their different tastes and opinions... I agree with you on the 64-66 mustang models looking nice, the 70 boss was a tank of an eye sore, and the fastbacks with the boxy back ends all look and drive like garbage. As far as the 95 Mustang GT 4.6L which I owned for 6 months. the car was decent but not stunning by any means..Peppy but not fast... Also the newest model Mustangs in my opinion look nothing like the past Mustangs, the front end looks like that of a new over grown VW bug and the rear looks like somebodies nightmare....Again, this is just my opinion... I have always thought the Chevy's over the years while being more expensive are much more stylish and have always performed better in most all comparisons throughout the years then the Fords..(I am manly speaking about the Mustangs VS. Corvette's).. On a final note I must say I do absolutely love the Ford Tungstun... That car is sick fast and expensive....

jibbby said:
the 70 boss was a tank of an eye sore, and the fastbacks with the boxy back ends all look and drive like garbage.
Wow. Just wow. Opinions are like a**eholes and all, but I daresay your opinion is based on some seriously miguided notions. A stock Renault 4CV drives like garbage. A stock Yugo drives like garbage. My '70 Mustang Fastbacks, in stock form, were fast, capable handlers that won autocross trophies, and were great daily drivers. And the chassis that they are based on is the same one I'm building both my current custom project from, and also sits under the car I just bought as a daily driver.

Calling this a tank of an eyesore says you're way out of step.

70Boss302_1024.jpg

There's probably a reason why these are rapidly appreciating, well loved classics worldwide and your SC is a rapidly DEpreciating generic Japanese coupe. The SC is nice driver with an excellent engine, but not gonna be a classic.

jibbby said:
Also the newest model Mustangs in my opinion look nothing like the past Mustangs, the front end looks like that of a new over grown VW bug and the rear looks like somebodies nightmare....Again, this is just my opinion...
Then you don't know Mustangs OR VWs, and stating it that way makes you look like your opinion is valueless. About the same as going onto a medical message board and saying "it's my opinion that lung cancer can be cured by rubbing grape jelly on your chest and chanting." Sure, it's your opinion, and you're entitled to it. But do you think that medical professionals would think of you as an intelligent commentator if you argued it was your right to say it?

I mean, what if I said "it's my opinion that all Japanese cars are pieces of crap that look like hell and rust in 2 years. All of them are slow and boring, because my 1985 Corolla with an automatic was slow, boring, handled like crap and was rusted out." ??

If you had proof that that opinion was wrong (and we all do), would I look smart if I said "I don't care what the facts are, that's my opinion, and I'm entitled to it?"

I think not.

The '05 intentionally combined the '67-70 Mustangs with modern cues.

1967_Mustang_Fastback_GTA_2.jpg

auto_ford_mustang_pony.jpg

And what part of this:

05.ford.mustang.f34-3.500.jpg

looks like this:

1998-2004-Volkswagen-New-Beetle-99606141990003.JPG

Overgrown or otherwise, in any way other than the fact that they have 4 wheels?

Opinions are everywhere. But unlike facts, they aren't carved in stone. And opinions stated from a postion of a lack of information or observation, are simply not going to be viewed as being all that intelligent. And as automotive enthusiasts, none of us should want that, right?

No one's saying you have to like or buy cars like these Mustangs, BTW. I'm just saying you need to not make statements that sound like you're talking out your ass just to be insulting. You never know who's reading your "opinions."

And if the rears of these two cars are the stuff of your nightmares, I really don't think I want to know what you do dream of...

1970-Ford-Mustang-Boss-351-custom-nf.jpg

SteveBryan-3.jpg

CDCBlueGlassback-12.jpg

Wow, Chris I must have hit a nerve you really blasted back even with pic's....good job.:swordfigh . Anyway, honestly I forgot what the BOSS looked like and that looks awesome. The BOSS looks to me like an American Muscle classic... The 64-66 mustangs are also decent as I have mentioned above but nothing truely amazing, all others look nasty.. I was thinking the BOSS looked like the 1970's mustang fastbacks with the 351 Cleveland... My bad...

Don't get me wrong, I love mostly all the older American muscle cars of the late 60's, and early 70's. Mostly all the convertable's restored are awesome.. Like the Boss too... I do want you to know I like new FORD pic up trucks as well and I think the Trinton motors are good motors...Not crazy about all the others, I once owned an Eddie Bauer Bronco a 1995 model, and l liked it up until about 80,000 miles. Then the tranny started pumping, developed a little play in the steering, rattles and squeaks and what not and decided I had to sell....

Since this is an opinionated thread, I also like all the newer model Blazers over all the Ford Explorers and Expiditions.. However, I do absolutely love the early 70-74 Ford Bronco's 4X4 restored with the soft top.. Those are classic 4X4's and look great.. Bottom line is I prefer Chevy over Ford but Ford has come up with a few jems over the past but not many and these newer Mustangs just look butt ugly to me... I will also boldly say that I think the 95-96 4.6 mustangs look way better then these newer nightmare Mustangs....

Back