supercharger Bypass valves (jordy's)

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

striker

Hey all,

I have a quick question, does anybody know what sort of by-pass valve Jordy's (skiboat) uses,
I've been looking for a bypass quite some time now, but I think that's one of the parts I can't do second hand cause there's none availeble

I need 2 identical itmes

might be able to cook something up using a 32mm GPZ throttle bodie and an actuator but then again where do I get an actuator, would a T-vis actuator be able to do this? or is there something special about these things eaton uses?

Grtz Thomas

Hi, send me your email address and Iwill send you pics of a bypass/recirculating valve that my company produces. It is an inline valve with a sliding piston design that has no diaphram to rupture. It has the largest I.D of any on the market at 1.360" It is available in black,red or blue anodized finish. I would post pics but I don't know how (computer idiot) Maybe you can post them--I have sent some pics to Lex
Rob--boosted tundras

Those look very nice. Now I am supercharger stupid so bear with me for a second. How exactly do you route these bypass valves. Using the word bypass I can only imagine that it connects to the inlet of the SC and then goes around the SC to somewhere on the piping to the intake manifold. I could use a decent explanation of the benefits also if you wouldn't mind. I have a very rudimentary idea of how and why this is needed. Thanks.

the bypass valve is designed to route the boost pressure back to the intake side of the blower. This is done to limit pumping losses in situations where boost is not needed,like normal driving where the engine is in a high vacuum situation---for example,cruising, which is a very high percentage of driving time. It also helps prevent compressor surge such as when the throttle is suddenly closed during deceleration---the throttle is closed but the blower is still spinning at high speed. The boost is allowed to pass through the bypass valve to the intake side of the blower, So.the valve is open to allow boost to pass through it when boost is not needed and as soon as the piston in the bypass valve sees boost and or lack of vacuum due to the throttle being opened suddenly it snaps shut and directs all of the boost in to the motor---that is when the fun begins

Is there any reason why the stored boost in the manifold when backing off the throttle, could not be exhausted to the atmosphere like on turbo cars. I understand regulations may put a stop to it, but is there a mechanical type reason why it could not be done.

Kev

if the vehicle uses a MAF sensor or some other system that measures air flow and feeds that info to the ECU then you can't vent to the atmosphere. I think with a MAP sensor system and certainly carbs you can vent. But,yes this valve can be used to vent boost to the atmosphere

hey Rob,

I have been thinking and routing air lines in my head for a few days now that I have decided where to put the sc themselves, and I have come up with a solution where I can put only one valve in the system (underneath the engine) and then make a cross in the lines to both sc's I'm a little afraid that if I run 2 BPV's I will run into trouble getting them perfectly sync, if one is out of sync with the other it would never run of boost in my set up and I'd be better of not running them at all.

anyway what do these items cost and how big are they? you can email me at thomas dot rouw ad gmail dot com

ps theres more reasons turbo's use different systems than positive displacement sc's.
try running a BOV once on an eaton and let go of the throttle at lower rpm's. the piping will blow apart before the valve opens, unless you go high dollar parts, turbo's slow down due to surge, eatons don't and keep on pumping on no matter what revs you are at.

looks nice

regards Thomas

yes---there is a huge difference between a bypass valve and a BOV.
The bypass valve reacts instantly if it sees vacuum (opens) or lack of vacuum and boost (closes)

http://www.capa.com.au/eaton.htm
CAPA in Australia sell these bypass valves. They are not as pretty but still quite neat. They are better suited to situations where you can bolt them to a flat surface where as the other ones have a hose tails both ends. CAPA sell them for $247.50 Australian Dollars, however they gave me a discount off this price.
Good luck,
Andrew

Back