Starting Problems

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

34ford

Started car one day - all fine. Started two days later and will not start. Just cranks over.
Checked spark - ok.
I wired the fuel pump in diectly and can hear it pumping fuel. But it does seem to have a different note now. It doesn't seem to build up presure.
Sprayed "start you bastard" (thats a great name for a product) and it fired straight away.
At this stage i think its the FPR. Would you agree with that? or should i be looking else where?
Whats the best way to check to see if the injectors are spraying fuel? They are getting voltage.

Make sure you haven't wired the pump in reverse polarity.

Don't laugh the first time I tried to start mine I did exactly that. Felt a real idiot.

Can you hear the fuel running back into the tank from the return line?.

Merry XMAS to all.

Rod, Sorry but i did laugh at you..... Anyway, its all wired the correct way. If i crack one of the pipes that bolt to the fuel rails and turn the fuel pump on, i get fuel coming out.

I'm not as smart as I look!

I just reinstalled my engine and the damned thing wouldn't start.

You could smell the fuel.

Took aminute or two to realise I hadn't reconnected the earth on the igniters.

Stupid thing is I've done it everytime I remove the engine.

Mick,

Check you have power on the large black and orange injector power feed.

You may want to also check the ECU is all plugged in.

You think you would learn the first time............hehehe

I checked the orange/black power feed for the injectors and it had 12+ volts on it with the key on. I didn't check all of them but i will tomorrow.

I still think its the FPR. How can i check that its working? Or maybe the fuel pump is not pumping enough fuel?????

With the fuel pump on, if i crack a pipe on the fuel rails how much fuel should come out, should it shoot out of just kind of flow out?

When you crack the union open fuel should spurt out.

The fuel pressure will be around 45lbs.

If you think the FPR has died and you're not getting any fuel pressure try clamping the return line shut. Just compress the rubber hose with some pliers and see if will sart then.

If you need a replacement FPR PM me your address and I'll post one up.

The injectors have 12volts on them at all times and the ECU earths the return to open the injector. If you have 12volts on the return side (when the injector is unplugged then you have a wiring problem.

If i crack the fuel line with the FPR in, the fuel spurts out, so now i think the fpr is ok. Even if i compress the return line it still doesn't fire.

Looks like i have a wiring problem, as when i have the key on (not cranking) i have 12 volts on both sides of the injector, with the injector unpluged. I'll check what happens when i crank it over.

Fixed! Turns out i had a faulty fuel pump. It was pumping fuel, but just not enough. Replaced with spare fuel pump and it started first go.

Fixed! Turns out i had a faulty fuel pump. It was pumping fuel, but just not enough. Replaced with spare fuel pump and it started first go.
how can you tell if the fuel pump is faulty?do you used an fuel pressure guage to check for that?:Eyecrazy:

i'm having the same ordeal!:Eyecrazy:

A fuel pressure gauge is the best way.

If you don't have one you could try opening the fuel return line after the FPR. If no fuel comes out the pressure is below the FPR's opening pressure and this means the pump is dead or you have a fuel blockage.

Check for blocked filters and kinks in any fuel line as they are cheaper to fix than replacing a good fuel pump only to find they were the problem later.

Back