Smog Trap

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Earlier this morning when I was driving my wife's Acura MDX and noticed some survey signs near my house. After I took my kids to school and head back home. I noticed cars were selectively being pulled over. When home and got my camera and start shooting. I took my Lexus LS400 and when back and forth few times to catch some videos along with pictures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA_ER5pQq1o

I noticed slight modified Hondas were targeted. My LS were not at their interest.

Oh my god!!!!!

I can't believe Califonia has smog traps...Never seen one before and never want to see one agian...

I wonder what they do if your car fails...Ticket, impound or what?

I was trying and hoping they would flag me in for test. I had time and the right car but I (LS400) wasn't their target. I guess bodykits, rims, FMIC will attract them.

Yeah, the LS400 is not a high performance illegal smog targer car for sure...

Lex you got lucky that you weren't driving in one of your boosted Lexus specials of the past that basically was killing the air, trees, plant life, animals, ocean life, and all the other fast cars on the road.. He He.....

Wow!!
Where exactly was that taking place?

I've seen the ones where they are checking emissions on freeway on ramps. They have those on the 210 in the Monrovia/Arcadia area all the time. They weren't stopping people, just checking emissions as you get on the freeway. If you are polluting profusely, they take a picture of your plate and send you a notice in the mail. I thought those were bad.

Mark

Attachments

• IMG_3484.jpg
    IMG_3484.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3485.jpg
    IMG_3485.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3486.jpg
    IMG_3486.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 10
aawww man Cali becoming a crappy place to live with modified cars. Hey David, where is this smog trap taken place?? Is it on the street to your house?

I've seen it twice in Garden Grove, CA. I was in my lowered Honda (nothing else) and also got pulled over with other cars. However, they asked what year my car was. I told them it's a 1999 and they let me go. I believe this happened in 2000 or 2001. They didn't even pop up my car's hood. I think if your car is still within 4 years of free smog requirement for a new car, they won't check it. I also think if a car that falls in the category of being older than 4 years, or being modified, the car will be pulled over.

I'll take smaller street next time i'm around that area. Thanks for the vids David. I'm starting to hate socal very much lol.

Lex,

It was an absolutely horrible idea for you to tempt fate like that. If they catch you with modified smog equipment or an engine that is not the proper engine in your car it can be very very expensive. I'm talking about over 300 dollars just a fine, and then a trip to the ref. That's if you pass the inspection which I know none of your modified lexus's will do. It gets worse when you fail the inspection.

Lex,

It was an absolutely horrible idea for you to tempt fate like that. If they catch you with modified smog equipment or an engine that is not the proper engine in your car it can be very very expensive. I'm talking about over 300 dollars just a fine, and then a trip to the ref. That's if you pass the inspection which I know none of your modified lexus's will do. It gets worse when you fail the inspection.

I am sure James can share some of his nightmares but its very costly and this is something I dont want to see anyone to be in.

I don't like this thread... It makes me nervous...

My car won't pass smog ever, it's old, lowered, modified, but the good news is I live in Santa Monica and they just don't do smog station checks anywhere near me, as I had checked...All the cars are too new and nice on my side of town..I guess the authorities go set these smog stations up where there's alot of modified smaller import cars, like mainly in the Asian and Mexican communities around LA.....

The only checks I have ever seen in my 40 years living in Santa Monica and other coastal areas here in SO. California is sobriety checks.. Usually set up on Pacific Coast highway.. I think I am safe from the smog stations as long as I don't go hanging out around Lex's part of town... What a shame...

Time for you guys to drive in stealth mode...I feel for ya....

I am sure James can share some of his nightmares but its very costly and this is something I dont want to see anyone to be in.

Trust me guys. I have the nastiest nightmares when they pulled me over and pop my hood. Cost me $880 bucks in bail. And it hurts real bad. David know it all. Hey thanks for being there to help me out Dave. Will never forget your deed.

I think it is a waste of our tax dollars to set up these smog trap stations.. They should penalise the big Cali factory polluters, etc...Concentrate on the masses and not just the few.. Us turbo and mod'd guys really aren't the real poluters.. I mean how much do the smog taps really go toward fixing the big problem? My taco bell gas creates more air pollution then our modified cars... What a joke..

Quick story - I got pulled over for speeding a while back and talked my way into a fix it ticket for noisy exhaust rather then a speed ticket...I almost wished I got the speeding ticket instead after what I went thru..I had to temp. change my mufflers and then during the California State inspection station visit they saw my Nitrous sytem and were ready to ruin me big time... I again sweet talked my way out of that sweating bullets the whole time....

California is staight out brutal for traffic violations and infractions.....

I know more than a couple of "well off" hotrodders who left California for more "hotrodder friendly" states. They also moved their businesses with them, which in one case, has cost California more than six digits in tax revenue.

Maybe more should do this? After all, voting with your tax dollars is the real American way....

I hear there's still lots of open space left in Nevada.......

We had smog traps in my little town a few months ago when i had a S14 with SR and BPU stuff on it. At first it said "Survey Team" and I thought oh ok no big deal, they are just mapping out the road, well as a approached, i saw a truck on the rolling dyno, i didn't know what it was till i passed. The CHP officer was distracted as i coasted by him and I was sooooooooo lucky not to get caught/stopped. The trap was popping up every 2 days or so all over town. Needless to say i didn't drive my car much after that and 2 months later it was SOLD!

Another smog trap today. I was driving home from 60 E. The trap was at Colima Road between Lemon and Brea Canyon. Looks like the pattern is that both traps were on the east bond. Right in front of the 24 Hrs Fitness.

Back