New Respect for the 2UZFE

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Yes its heavier and yes it has .7L extra but is it really worth it? Recently I took some photos of my engine being build and man the block is very heavy. Normally i can muscle a 1uzfe shortblock around without any problems. I would need help with the 2uzfe. In the shortblock configuration its 80-85 lbs heavier then 1uzfe shortblock.

There are couple of flaws with the 2uzfe for FI application. First, its obvious would be the rods. Those rods are almost like the new Scion XB. They are as skinny as my small finger. Here are the 1 to 3UZ rods in order:
IMG_0071.jpg
For a decent size engine, the rods are just too small. I personally have seen 3-4 shortblocks with broke rods. Now those broke rods were NA application. I havent seen or heard of any 1uzfe rods being broken yet.

For any 2uzfe FI application, I would suggest an easiest and cheapest way. Yes, the 1uzfe rods would work. They are direct bolt on. 1UZFE rods are cheap you can get them for $100 per set. For less then 8-10 psi, those rods should be worry free. However, greater boost would require stronger rods (There was a Group Buy on Forged Rods, please contact Rod aka Zuffen for more details) With a good set of rods and pistons, the 2uzfe would make some killer hp. Even with two bolt main, its pretty strong for most mild application. However, if you got you hands on a set of 1 or 3uzfe main caps, then you can do either a 4 or six bolt main conversion. 4 bolt main will be very nice however, 6 bolt main will be overkill. Don't be surprise to see my engine with 6 bolt main.

I think with good rods and pistons, the 2uzfe would be good for 20-25 psi. Currently Ross is making me some 2uzfe pistons handling 30 psi. My conclusion would be if you want your car to handle and make good power, then the 1uzfe is very sufficient. However, if you want the extreme power, then the 2uzfe would be the block of choice. One other combo you might consider is using 1uzfe crank instead of 2uzfe crank. 3.25" stroke vs. 3.31" stroke. Its not much but will help some rev. The combo i am building will be using 1uzfe crank.

Personally, I would like to do a 5.3L stroke on the old iron with 9.5:1 compression with my current turbo setup. I need more lower end torque. LOL.... What are your thoughts on the old iron?

i think it should work fine for you, i would use the whole 2uz though heads included, b/c i really think the 2uz manifold and heads flow much better than the 1uz. The only thing is the extra weight, but if handling is not your emphasis then no worries there. I still think the 1uz can make big power on the aluminum block, the guy with ultima gtr made a 1,000hp, and many ls1 aluminum blocks also hold 1,000hp. In your case, i really don't thinks its the 1uz holding you back on big power, its tuning, and its going to take a standalone. You might go with a standalone first, then if your not happy, go with a 2uz.

WD,

You are right.. Tuning is the key. I have been so busy and dont really have time to drop the car off to Split Second. We did some dyno tune but mostly boost area. However, I have a cruiser so weight is not an issue. I just want smoking tires are idle....lol

The 5.3 won't be until a while. I gotta get my SC470TT running first. Stroking will require block modification. FYI, anything over 3.31" which is stock stroke for the 2uzfe, will require block modifications. Some people think stroking to 5.8" is a cake walk. Then that person should rethink again.

Back