Lexus Vs. Infiniti

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

For the past few years, the Lexus V8 has been becoming more performance oriented espcially in our community. I wonder how is that going with the Infiniti V8. There are few more turbos, supercharged and NOS UZFE then ever before. Recently, one of our members in Europe making almost 1000 hp with the 4.0.

I am really excited about the future of these motors. We have from pistons to longblock available which is unheard of few years ago. I think the Infiniti V8 is still little behind. What do u think?

the VH45DE is inferior in an unbiased opinion for outright horsepower.

too wide for most conversions.
lack of sump options.
interference head.
weaker bottom end - good oiling system though.
heads flow very well - and is easier to fit up adj cam gears. i'll take the toyo scissor gear anyday though.
lack of gearbox options.
lack fo aftermarket support.

i think that pretty much sums up my reasoning why i'm here and not there.

I've spent alot of time researching the nissan V8's such as the VH45/41 and VK45 on NicoClub, ExtremeZ and others, as I had planned to swap one into my bro's 240 after the KA blew.....and they say the exact opposite on those boards. They feel their V8's are far superior. However I don't see alot of backing for this statement. If the Nissan V8's ever were ahead of Toyota's (which I don't feel they ever were) we have passed them up in the last year or so. There's tons of LS400's, SC's, Starlets...etc...even Ultimas GT's, with sick set-ups, turbo or SC alike. The only thing from Nissan I see is the Top Secret G35 and that blue 280Z, which as far as I know never ran?
I say we have the lead.

Early VH45 was quite a motor for its time: sodium filled exhaust valves, variable talve timing. How many V8's had that in 1990? The valves in particular were quite surprising for them to do as you only saw that on full race motors. I think today Lexus is ahead for many reasons, especially with the newer motors just arounnd the corner, but the Infinitis are no slouch. They have been pumping out 340 HP since 2002, not bad at all.

not a bad engine.

They are a fairly good engine but when you go to work on one your realy see that it was desighned by a commitee in the valley there is more pipe and tubes than you could poke a stick at .Its really messy in there and what a pain to get the plenum off.
It has its good points as well like coil on plug with iginiters on the cam covers a huge plenum with a 80 mm throttle body a huge airflow meter 90mm so it is no wounder that they make good hp.
The size is big factor in its use for a conversion but i will tell you all about that soon as i am about to fit one in a 280zx with a s15 200sx 6speed gearbox.
As I said to the owner it will fit i have a grinder,oxy,plazma cutter and a welder.
It will fit

Pro said:
the VH45DE is inferior in an unbiased opinion for outright horsepower.

too wide for most conversions.
lack of sump options.
interference head.
weaker bottom end - good oiling system though.
heads flow very well - and is easier to fit up adj cam gears. i'll take the toyo scissor gear anyday though.
lack of gearbox options.
lack fo aftermarket support.

i think that pretty much sums up my reasoning why i'm here and not there.
Pro, where is the weakness in the Nissan V8's bottom end?

Any know if the VH41 is the equivalent of VVT or VVTi (ie, infinately variable or just 2 stage with an rpm switch over point).

As for the bottom end Stu, he doesn't mean the bottom end has a fatal weakness, he means the bottom end is known for not being as strong as the 1UZ's.

Attachments

• 1uzfe_2uzfe_heads 019.jpg
    1uzfe_2uzfe_heads 019.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 186
  • 1uzfe_2uzfe_heads 021.jpg
    1uzfe_2uzfe_heads 021.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 1uzfe_2uzfe_heads 020.jpg
    1uzfe_2uzfe_heads 020.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 203
Peewee said:
As for the bottom end Stu, he doesn't mean the bottom end has a fatal weakness, he means the bottom end is known for not being as strong as the 1UZ's.
The VH45DE has a very strong bottom end for a production engine.

Here are the specs:

- Forged Twist Crankshaft
- Six Bolt Mains ( 4 studs for each main cap & 2 bolts thru block into cap)
- Full Crank Girdle (ties all the main caps together)
- Deep Skirt Block
- Redline of 6900 rpm stock (can handle 7400 rpm with no modifications)

This engine also came with Variable Valve Timing (introduced in 1990) and sodium filled exhaust valves. In 94, they got rid of the sodium filled valves (see edit below) and changed the intake port design for better flow. The Variable Valve Timing (known as VTC) disappeared in 96 from the US market due to emissions reasons. In 97, the engine disappeared from the States, to be replaced with the VH41DE.

The only weakness is with the plastic timing chain guides on certain 90-mid 93 engines. The later 93 and up engines have the metal backed guides so they are the most reliable.

These engines are very robust. The only thing lacking is forged rods (see edit) and pistons. However, there are some people that have run 10 psi on the stock engine without problems.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit:

I have found out some more info since I posted the original reply.

The rods are indeed forged and seem plenty strong. People have said that they are stronger than the ones in the SR20DET. Take that for what it's worth.

Also, according to the Factory Service Manual, the 94 engine still retained the sodium filled exhaust valves.

thanks andrew - precisely my point.

thanks for the cross comparo there Sabre Logos - it's not often we can do a direct comparison.

but only 10psi...? the stock 1UZFE can take 22psi with methanol - 10.4:1 CR and all...!

I stopped by a local shop and noticed they have a dead Infiniti Q45 engine. The headers are so restricted. Worst then the 1UZFE. I should take some pics.

Lextreme said:
I stopped by a local shop and noticed they have a dead Infiniti Q45 engine. The headers are so restricted. Worst then the 1UZFE. I should take some pics.
Were they cast or welded? You might have seen a VH41DE from the 97-01 Q45. They have cast headers which are very restrictive. Kinda look like something from an old Chevy.

The VH45DE has welded tubular headers that are okay in terms of design. They don't really have any major flow restrictions. On the US version, the driver's side seems the worst with a kink to clear the steering rack.

I think the MAIN reason why the Lexus V8 is superior in aftermarket than the Nissan, is the fact that working on that Nissan engine is a big ass pain. transmissions barely hold the stock horsepower also. Everything on this engine cost a **** load of money. working on a 1UZ is pretty easy and fun, just changing the spark plugs on a Q45 is a big big pain.

the UZ is compact, wich make it easy to swap in a lot of cars. It might not produce the 340HP, but still can pack a punch, easily upgradeable, strong moving parts, and available in a lot of different cars and trucks

The Q45 is a stacked motor indeed...A friend of mine has one and it is slightly mod'd and really hauls arse to my suprise...N/A too....I am very impressed with those engines...Don't know how reliable they are in comparison to the Xuz-fe motors..

I think they are third on my list on engines to play with.. The LS1 has got to be considered too....

www.nissanv8.com is a dedicated forum for the nissan vh engines.

I agree that the lexus engines have better aftermarket support, and more options. (gearboxes/sump) And it is more compact. But I still think that the Nissan engine is even more bulletproof than the uz.

One other thing that makes the lexus engines more popular is the low price \ easy available.

Here's a pic of the VH that has been sleeved and bored to 98mm. Notice the cross-ribs in the V.

IMG_0079.JPG

Also, check out this article on the VH45DE from Road & Track. http://turbo-infiniti.org/viewtopic.php?t=58

damn, thats beastly. i would love to have one of those to play with. but i would love to have one of the Mitsubishi Direct Injection V8s even more.

I wonder how much horse power these VH45DE motors can handle at stock under some boost? (no after market forgies)...Pro said they are inferior to the Xuz-fe motors because of the head design and weaker bottom end.... I don't see it when driving my friends Q45 but it is only N/A with intake, ECU and exhaust mods only....

Pro, I will take your word for it anyway, you know your stuff.......

PS...That Q45 with those mods is noticeably faster then my SC400 with the same bolt on mods..(no Nitrous)..However, my SC4 is not equiped with a VVt-i system either....

I have heard of 800hp vh45 turbo engines with stock bottom end. And I think there is a boat running twin turbo with around 1000hp.

Back