How much horsepower will it take?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

jibbby

Curious, how much horsepower will it take to run a close to stock weight SC4/LS4/Soarer to run a solid 11 second quarter mile???????...

I have seen a few cars such as LEX's LS4, SC400tt, RDM20 and a few others that are dishing out close to or around 400whp and they can't crack into the low 11's in the quarter, infact most can't crack the 12's...

Any guesses fellas? Consider traction and an auto tranny build to be setup well for the desired application...What will it take???...

I am thinking 550whp might just do the trick.....:ponder:

Also with 550whp what application would give you the best chance to hit that 11 second quarter...Single big Turbo, twin turbo's, supercharging or Nitrous...

From my understanding - Nitrous gives you tons of lowend, but you would slow on the back end of the quarter. A big Single turbo would be sluggish at the front end but may just light it up on the back end..Twin turbo's depending on how they are setup could kick arse in all ranges...Supercharging I believe is fairly strong throughout too...Any thoughts?

Just looking for opinions and related topic's to chat about...

All depends how much weight you want to take out of the car. Weight is your enemy.

With a decent stallie and slicks though a 400rwhp SC should still crack 11's pretty easily. With 430rwhp i ran 11's with ease and my car is hardly lightweight at 1470kg with driver. That was on street tyres and a manual. Throw slicks in and a 10 is well within sight IF the rear CVs hold up.

.....With a decent stallie and slicks though a 400rwhp SC should still crack 11's pretty easily. With 430rwhp i ran 11's with ease and my car is hardly lightweight at 1470kg with driver. That was on street tyres and a manual. Throw slicks in and a 10 is well within sight IF the rear CVs hold up.
You could be right, but I haven't seen any 400 whp car with 3700 lbs can go to 12 second in 1/4 mile range. Your 1470 kg car is equal to 3234 lbs car, so it's alot faster than a stock SC with 3700 lbs, which is 1681 kg. As I've looked through several 4000 lbs cars in factory forms, it'll take about 500 bhp to crack the 12 sec range. I "Guess" it'll take more than 400 whp for the SC to go to 12 sec, perhaps 450 whp.

its take a lot more hp because of the forced induction (it takes time to spool the turbos), na requires much less hp to go that fast, although the 1uz couldn't do it na. 11's with no spray is a very optimistic goal, for a street car i think a mid 12 sec is a good goal. Maybe if you go to the point of mid 12's with forced induction or a na monster swap, you could use the spray to hit 11's in drag racing.

Dont forget IRS vs. Solid axles. 550 rwhp mustang can go in 10s but it would take Supra at least 700 rwhp to got into 10 territory.

Dont forger IRS vs. Solid axles. 550 rwhp mustang can go in 10s but it would take Supra at least 700 rwhp to got into 10 territory.

Come on David no way :) With the MTs I'd be nearly in the 10's if not there with IRS and i weigh similar to a JZA80. I reckon i can get there with 450rwhp and would be deep in the 9's at least with 700rwhp.

Jibby, 1680kg is a bit of lard so yeah i guess you will need a bit more than 400rwhp but not much.

WDoherty, spool time isn't that bad with twins. I have strong boost straight off the line. With a good stall on the auto you can launch at full boost no probs. A BIG single is harder but just get a higher stall :)

Well, the Croydons Supra barely broke a 10 second pass with 450WHP. Rego and warrant. Mind you, its a very light car, even though its street registered. I would think in full street trim, I would think you need closer to 600WHP. Consider this... with 450WHP they did a 10.93, with 650WHP they did a 10.52 then after massive drivetrain work did a 9.97. Then 706WHP for 9.59. Keep in mind this Supra has over $150,000 invested in it.

Basically those 10 tenths of a second between 11 something and 10 something, mean a MASSIVE amount f more power required or hundreds of KG gone and lots of grip on a prepped track.

My guess, on a street trim Supra, with some grip, you will need somewhere between 500-550WHP

Anyone think about anti-squat ?
1/2 a second in the first 60ft sure reduces the bhp required.

Well, the Croydons Supra barely broke a 10 second pass with 450WHP. Rego and warrant. Mind you, its a very light car, even though its street registered. I would think in full street trim, I would think you need closer to 600WHP. Consider this... with 450WHP they did a 10.93, with 650WHP they did a 10.52 then after massive drivetrain work did a 9.97. Then 706WHP for 9.59. Keep in mind this Supra has over $150,000 invested in it.

Basically those 10 tenths of a second between 11 something and 10 something, mean a MASSIVE amount f more power required or hundreds of KG gone and lots of grip on a prepped track.

My guess, on a street trim Supra, with some grip, you will need somewhere between 500-550WHP

There you go David, exactly the numbers i said

There are exception. In general solid axles have alot more traction then IRS. IRS is great for cornering but not for drag. For a supra to run 10s would need alot more hp then a car with solid axles.

Some quick calculations based on ET and weight (3700 lbs) come out to approximately 520 rwhp (614 flywheel) to run 11.20 in the quarter. I know my 240 Z weighs around 2835 with me in it and runs low 10.20's in the quarter and I have a dynoed 611 hp @ 6100. That is on a drag strip with good traction.

Wayne

The car gods have spoken.... Justen, I think you hit the nail on the head the weight of these cars is the enemy....Drop 500lbs and you drop a full second in the quarter...Or gain aprox..100whp to gain around a second in the quarter...

Really too many factors to consider which would make a difference such as Auto tranny gearing, tires/suspension, Forced air applications, stall rate TC, diff gearing, car weight, track conditions, driver, etc..etc..

So if you sporting 400whp on a stock weight SC/LS Lexus your looking at the 12's.. The most weight I think you can drop off these SC's is around 300-400lbs tops before you start compromising the ride quality...A jockey like driver would help too, rather then my 225LB big arse sitting behind the wheel...I think I am screwed in my SC....

Damn, I want to run 11 flat in my SC..!!!!:rant:

Wayne my boy..Swap in an LS1 and then boost, work the drivetrain to sustain the juice and then it will be easy as butter...:tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2:

Transfer weight perhaps? Install super fat drag slicks, Coilovers, raise the front end lower the back end..Throw some weight in the trunk or a slide if necessary and then install a wheelie bar on the back bumper just incase.....:shock:

If there is a will there is a way...Butter or no butter:006:

Back