Help with 2UZFE into a 1999 tacoma

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

kailenq

Hey all, I'm new to the forums and have been reading up on the transfers of a 1uzfe into pickups. I would love to do this with my truck, but I live in southern California and therefore, I have to have a motor of at least 1999 or newer to pass BAR regulations.

Here's the scoop: I have a 1999 Tacoma 4wd with a v6 and manual trans, extended cab if it matters. I was wondering what parts are necessary for a 2uzfe swap beside the engine, ECU, motor mounts, harnass and headers. i wish i could've done a 1uz because they are cheap, but the tundra 4.7 isn't too bad. Plus they make nice power! I would like to do this swap the easiest way possible and being able to pass inspection/smog. I am not opposed to swapping out for an auto trans if thats necessary, from tundra or tacoma. I would like to keep 4wd functional because i plan to use my truck for mudding and playing in the sand.

Info on where to buy adaptors, mounts and custom parts is GREATLY appreciated. i can't find much of anything for this. :naughty:

Welcome to the Forums! I'v moved your question to the general swap area, you will find great advice for your project here. I hope your project goes well, again Welcome! :)

u need to see how much of the engine and auto and 4wd is controlled by the factory v6 ecu

this is how u determine how to go bout the job

the newer the car the harder the job

and the 2uz might even have security in the ecu
so this menas u need the engine ecu and the immobiliser ecu and the key reader and the key all from the same car otherwise it wont start

also u need to see if the 4wd talks to the v6 ecu

best to do some research
if i lived in usa i could do it but im miles away

I think a lot of non VVTi 2UZ's dont have security in the ecu. Maybe, I dont think so though. I should note that is a SPECULATION...my dads 00 doesnt have it. 4wd SR5 V8 nonTRD. Generally Toyota trucks havent been real big on the security systems Lexus vehicles have.

There are two t-cases for 99's. There is a electric one (electric 4wd engagement, but manual low range) and a fully manual one. The manuals are referred to a 'J' shifters.

The electric 4wd t-case does not need the ECU to operate. I know FIRST HAND. This is for PRE 05 Tacomas though. A340E tranny, AKA 30-40LE by the Asian-Warner code.

I have a 99 Prerunner TRD. I did a 4wd swap. I thought I bough a A340E J shift tranny+case (shipped from the East Coast area to West) but it was a electric one. The guy apologized. It was fine though. I just had to wire a switch.

Luckily the Tacoma diff lockers operate exactly the same. On TTORA there is a schematic for one. I talked to the guy who made it (who is a electrical engineer, doesnt use TTORA anymore) and he suggested I try it. I did. Ignored a few things. You need a double pole/double throw switch (15 bucks) if I recall correctly. Anyhow it worked perfectly. Whats even cooler, you know how people pay like 200 bucks for a twinstick conversion? Well this is that only better cause it costs 25 bucks. Manual high/low range with electric 4wd engagement.

Since all Tundra 4wd's got auto's, auto would be the easiest. With TACOMA's, if you use a manual tranny with a auto ECU, you get codes and it is a PITA to get rid of them. I recall Tacoma's and Tundras of those years (4speeds) got the same auto and t-case. Probably even the same sensors on it. The Tundra's speed sensor may be from wheel sensors. Thats how 4runners work. Tacoma's got a tranny output sensor. On 4runners the speed sensor hole (same trannys as tacomas) has a plug in it. Thats all. So you can still put a sensor in it. The tranny in my 99 is from a 4runner so I had to buy a sensor because the Prerunner and 4WD ones are different. (one on a t-case, the other on the tranny)

Note that the tranny's are the same, ther bellhousing and torque converter are different.

Back