Got Motor and Trans, What next??

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Rusty,

Use a flexible tape measure to measure the minimum length belt you can use. Do this be wrapping the tape measure around the pulleys in the correct sequence. Roll the tensioner to the left as far as it will go. Note the dimension.

Go to your local REPCO or parts supplier and buy the closest belt (bigger not smaller) you can get. Belts come in a multitude of sizes.

Fuel line size

8mm or 5/16" is standard. Make sure all flexible connections are efi hose.

Rusty said:
edz,
Thanks for that. I got a VL pump today but it didn't have filter or bracket. I got the bracket sorted but will get a filter later, I plan on getting a new one any suggestions?
What size fuel line should I use.
please explain a little more about a surge tank, I don't plan on racing, is it still going to be nessassary
I had a look at the back of the motor and only found what looks like one fuel line(left hand side) where is the return line coming from?
cheer Russ
PS enjoyed your site well done

I've never exprerienced fuel starvation that a fuel surge tank would solve. Anytime i did have fuel starvation was when the fuel level was very low.
I've tried in-tank pump such as a Walbro and Denso as well as external pumps like Aeromotive and Weldon.

A surge tank acts as a buffer when your fuel pickup in the main tank sucks air.

The surge tank usually holds 1 or 2 litres of fuel and is enough to get over temporary fuel starvation from the main tank.

Without a surge tank pump life will be shortened and if fuel starvation is bad enough detonation will occur and the ring lands will go out the exhaust pipe with the rings.

I don't understand how a surge tank extends fuel pump life, when there is no fuel the engine wont run, neither should the pump. I know surge tanks are very popular in Japan(pretty much any fast GTR i've seen has at least 3 pumps and surge tank) and from what i gather from this forum it is also popular in Oceania. I just never saw a need for a surge tank in high powered street Supras...
What sorts of fuel tanks usually require surge tanks from your expereince. Have any of them had built in surge tanks?

Surge tanks are mainly for carby to EFI conversions.

You won't find many people over this way who have EFI fuel tanks and a surge tank.

Thanks heaps. Anyone in NZ want a cheep surdge tank?
So want is an ideal external pump? there are some on trademe.co.nz
(255lph Walbro Fuel Pump) about $200 nz???????
The old tank in the truck has an outlet at the bottom

Hi Rusty. I'm interested in the tank... PM me details, and a pic if poss.

Today's EFI fuel tanks are pretty well designed to eliminate fuel starvation for normal hi-po street use but once you start getting adventurous it's can be a different story. Even the 4x4 guys will eventually find something steep enough to uncover the pickup...
With external EFI pumps its easy to incorporate a surge tank, but the internal pump setups require a lot more work.

People go to a lot of trouble to deepen and baffle sumps, adding screens and trapdoors, etc to ensure oil supply to the pickup. That is in a sump bowl often only a foot square.
Some fuel tanks (I've got one) are almost a meter square and shallow to boot. I would be dubious about not using a surge tank with a NA motor. With a FI system I would start saving for a new motor now....!!

Rusty,

For an external pump use a VL Commodore EFI pump.

Cheap and available everywhere. Pressure and flow are more than adaquate.

EFI needs 45lb+ pressure from the pump as the injectors run at about 43lb. The Facets will never do it.

rewire 1uz

Can anyone recommend someone in the Waikato NZ to rewire my 1uz. I have new breakout loom & Linkplus ecu. If not can someone tell me how many hours it should take for somebody that knows what they are doing to do the job. I plan on using the same plugs and sensors

Started Motor I've got About 70 psi at idle using 20/50 oil when hot, What oil should I be using or is 20/50 grade OK

Wiring up 1uz

Hi Rusty, this would be the man to contact, only problem is he is Auckland based, I have been to one of his tech nights, i don't think there is much he does not know about 1uz and efi, Phil is in our car club the SCCNZ, he has a wiring loom all sorted, for the 1uz , you should be able to track him down from this if not get back to me. http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/phil.bradshaw/INDEX.HTM

Regards
Lambo

I found a belt that will run alternator and power steer without the AC pump

DAYCO poly-rib
6PK1575 Then it jumps up to 1600 long
hope this helps others

Zuffen said:
Rusty,

Use a flexible tape measure to measure the minimum length belt you can use. Do this be wrapping the tape measure around the pulleys in the correct sequence. Roll the tensioner to the left as far as it will go. Note the dimension.

Go to your local REPCO or parts supplier and buy the closest belt (bigger not smaller) you can get. Belts come in a multitude of sizes.

So Rusty, that belt runs from crank->tensioner->alt->powersteer->idler->fan->crank does it?

Doesn't sound right.
I have a 1650belt, and its too short to do that.
Are you leaving out something?

100% correct I'm running an electric fan but have kept the pully that was behind the fan as an idler as well! does that make sense? Should I try and down load a photo?

Photo with belt in

Attachments

• c5 001.jpg
    c5 001.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 3
  • c5 002.jpg
    c5 002.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 7
  • c5 003.jpg
    c5 003.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 3
Hmmm, thats the route I want to go.
And I'm 99% sure I have a 1650 belt, and I'm 99% sure its too short.

I'll have to double check some things.

Back