Fresh conversion = fuel delivery problem?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

-Nemesis-

As most probably wouldn't know (not sure if I posted here about it) I wrote off my white 4Runner in a 4WD mishap.

Anyways i've bought another one, the same style 4Runner (same V6 petrol manual etc) and have all but finished putting the 1UZ accross into it. In my original conversion I had Sideshow do the wiring for me.

I finally got it running last night. So the problem is, I turn the ignition on and I can here the usual relays doing their thing etc. When I start it it starts and idles fine, if left idling it will run for about 10 seconds then start to fade out till it eventually stalls.

If I manage to get the revs to rise (very hard as it tries to stall) it will run for about 7 seconds and then drop out. So i'm thinking it's starving for fuel as everything looks normal. The fuel pump must be getting power because it's defintely priming the fuel line.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions (Sidey?) as to what I may have missed? The engine loom was already done from the last conversion so I don't have to touch that surely. I copied everything I could see that Sidey had done on the body side of the harness (the engine side to ECU is already done by him.) Where the harness plugs into the body loom I added the Peel saftey switch that Sideshow had done and i've attached the harness in the engine bay to the engine one (altenator etc.) Is there something else i've overlooked? Like I said it starts fine and idles great, but only for a limited time.

I would get Sideshow just to come and find the fault but he's ausually booked out for weeks at a time and I need this truck going!

I forgot to add that before I pulled it from the now wrecked vehicle it drove 100% fine. Was pulled after a 1200km trip home...

Well you have presure I think

it souns like it's running on the cold start injector and it's timer should time inbetween 7 and 10 seconds so that adds up to the situation,

are you sure the injectors get voltage from the battery? and if so How much? I'm thinking injector resistor and high low impendance injectors

I had the same problem once on a 4age powered Sylva Striker which we swapped seemed the Striker had a resistorpack in it's loom whereas the swapped AE86 4age used high impendance injectors instead of low impendance ones on the broken engine. results where exactly the same as you describe.

second time I had the problem the injectors of the engine where very dirty got the cleaned and it was running fine.

grtz Thomas

Try hotwiring the fuel pump and give it a run.

Sounds like the dual speed fuel feed isn't working right.

The engine starts in hi speed pump mode and drops to low speed once running.

It sounds like the low speed isn't working properly.

I had the fuel resistor die once and give similar symptoms.

thanks for the replies guys, I haven't been able to get back at it since I posted the message as i've been pulling down another Surf which someone just picked up (chassis.)

Anyways I haven't checked voltage anywhere yet. Where do the injectors get their power from? Are the wires in the main loom for the engine and feed into the car/ecu?

The dual speed fuel feed sounds interesting Rod. What controls that do you know? I have to assume I have overlooked something in the wiring so it could be one of these two things...

I'm at work now till 10:30pm though so the more i can research tonight the better. My only copies of any wiring diagrams for both car and engine are here at work, looks like i've got some diagram reading to do...

where the injector power comes from in a ls I don't know, but if you look up one of the injectors just put the Ground side of the multimeter to the - side of the batery and find the black-orange or black-red wire on the injector that should have a voltage over it. how much depends on the injectors used and if it has a ballast resistor.

You can also get a LED and put the pins in with the wires on the injector connector, it should blink of the ECU is firing and there's voltage on the injectors ( just make sure you have polarity right)

Grth Thomas

Thanks guys, I solved the problem. The pump was only getting power for about the first two seconds after it started.

I spent ages rummaging around untill I finally discovered that the 5 pin relay for the fuel pump in my old 4Runner had been changed to a 4 pin, with one wire deleted. I did the same in this one and it runs 100% again! Woohoo!

Thanks again.

Back