Engine Fire!

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

We dont know what went wrong but my friend's LS400 caught on fire last night after leaving a local repair shop in Rosemead. He took his car in for an ignition tune up (Caps, Rotors, Wires and Plugs) and after an hour the whole engine bay caught on fire and you can see the damage below. He was luck enough there was a bystander with a fire extinguisher. Otherwise he would have to watch his car burn down to the frame. This car has alot of sentimental value so we both hate to see it gone. What went wrong?

Nice one Brett, may your glass always be half full.

Caps, rotors, wires and plugs should have been able to be done by any blind Freddie.

Looks a bit like black to red blew to bits to me. My guess is one of the ht wires was not pushed all the way back in causing a bad contact and heat.

Nology HOT wires?

Engine out and fit a new loom, I suspect it will be a write off.

The fire is based around the distributor and the fuel return line area.

Could there have been a slight leak from removing the t/b and associated lines to access the plugs?

Any leak could be ignited by a stray spark from an incorrectly fitted lead.

if its insured and it catches fire - let it burn
the damage and consequences thereof are more painful to deal with than crash damage

The fire is based around the distributor and the fuel return line area.

Could there have been a slight leak from removing the t/b and associated lines to access the plugs?

Any leak could be ignited by a stray spark from an incorrectly fitted lead.
I think we are at the same page. I saw the cap and wires were discharging electrical current and I think the discharge slowly heat up the plastic cap and start melt the plastic. The fuel return line is very close to that area and any leak will do it. I was also told that the mechanic was testing the injectors too. So it is possible some fuel leak along with electrical discharge.

I think the spark came from the coil, there is a clip on the spark wire lock, if it does not lock securely to the coil the vibration from the engine will loose it out and cause the spark. Also I didn't see the plastic cover on the center top of the wires hmmm.

Wow... that motor is roasted. Time for a new one and some paint.
mainly plastic parts are burnt.. I would say engine itself is fine..
Induction and sensers need replacing...
Oh ignition system etc.
I hope the mechanic has a GOOD insurance ??

I hope the mechanic has a GOOD insurance ??

The mechanic is trying to let the insurance take over, but my friend wanted the car to be repaired. Insurance will do their own investigation and if they have to refund, they would pay him the market value of this LS400.

Hope the sub wire looms are the only part burnt!!
I'm sure there are connectors at rear of engine ??
It may look way worse than it is???
Digi pics can do that ...
Good luck..

They will probably call it a 'total.' Your buddy can still get it back for a reasonable price.

In my case I rear ended someone in my Tacoma and I couldnt let it go. It was totaled and AAA valued it at about 10,200. I asked them what the buy back was (what some auctioner will pay for it---you match it if you want to keep it). $1800. I was like 'WTF?!' I thought it was a steal so hell yeah I bought it back.

Also make sure when the insurace company settles they have ALL the options and what not your friends car has (original are important). AAA missed the fact that my truck was a TRD and somethign else. Added like 500-900 to the value.

Good luck with the insureance company.

I think get a good used engine is a better choice. With this burnt engine, the cost replace the harness, some other sensors, and labor will exceed far from a good used engine. A good used engine will cost about $650 with the harness, but there's no ECU.

Back