Cam Gears for 1UZ - Adjustable?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

stevechumo

Does anyone know if there's any cam gear made for the 1UZ like the picture below? I'm looking for a set to retard the timing for my SC400, but my belief is it doesn't exist, maybe made by a machine shop.

My guess is you have never seen the 1UZ cam gears? They run of an internal gear. Unless you mean controlling both cams with one gear?

Kelford made a set to work with their cams a while back, but dont anymore since the guy with the gear to make was unreliable.

My guess is you have never seen the 1UZ cam gears? They run of an internal gear. Unless you mean controlling both cams with one gear?

Kelford made a set to work with their cams a while back, but dont anymore since the guy with the gear to make was unreliable.
I'm in the process of rebuilding my 1UZ so yes, I've seen ins & outs of this engine. I think I mentioned cam sprockets with the timing belt run around them. The reason I'm looking for them is because I don't want to spend a grand or more on a piggyback or standalone ECU to retard the timing when I boost over 12 psi.

XR8tt is right. That's what I'm looking for.

Ok so you are aware you will move both inlet and exhaust cams in the same direction...

You thought about reflashing the stock ECU?

Ok so you are aware you will move both inlet and exhaust cams in the same direction...

You thought about reflashing the stock ECU?
Umh. That may be an issue. I actually haven't thought of it. I'm just basically looking for all possible solutions without spending much on this project.

I never heard of anyone reflashing the SC400 ECU, so that may not be the answer. I'm still deciding if I should look into a Split Second (AIC1)to control 2 additional fuel injectors with a retard timing device, or a Split Second (FTC1) to control 8 bigger injectors and it can also retard the timing.

Sheesh an EMS stinger is $1k here in the land down under and I guess with exchange rate ? That equates to $600 - $700 for a boost sensitive safe tune...
http://www.enginemanagementsystem.com/frameindex.htm

The std ECU can be left to control Auto, idle etc so tuner doesn't have to set up idle control, air con, speedo, traction control, thermo fans etc...

What does retarding cam timing have to do with the boost you are running? I think you mean ignition timing so adjustable cam gears aren't going to help you??

om_27.jpg

"Turbo" cams generally have more intake timing and less exhaust...
With atleast 112 LSA...
Besides due to maching etc ?? The phasing between cams on "each" bank may be out somewhat ??

I say again, there's no reason you would be looking to retard your cam timing because you are running more boost?

What is your reasoning here???

I looked into MegaSquirt but it seems too complicated. I'm more like a engine hardware guy so I just want to build the engine and take it to a tuner. That's why I'd like to see and learn about all of the options out there.

I've read that some boosted 1UZ with over 12 psi have blown the engine without retarding the timing. That's kind of worry me. So there's no need to retard the cam?

Why cant the chip be reflashed? Most ECU's can be from what I have seen, just need the software and a chip.

Retarding cam or adjustable ??
Or timing as in ignition ??
Imo there is ONLY one way to do it..
Fit an aftermarket ECU !!! One that reads boost etc..
I have seen so many try to save $$ and end up spending $$$ on engines and parts so they save on ECU..
TUNE IS 90% of engine performance and approx 99.99 reliability when real power is made...
I bet Justen has a good ecu ?? To have a reliable well running std internal engine...
The issue is that n/a engines advance as rpm, power increases..
With boost it retards, especially through peak torque ..
My Ford can have as much as 50* timing to bring boost on [manual trans] but on full boost it retards back to about 23* with 18 Lb boost or 650 rwhp... As an example..
There is NO WAY the std ECU can do this..
The ECU I run is the Haltech E11V2...But as said its more what your tuner is familiar with!! Find a good one in your area and go by what he says.. Or find a brand that seems to have good reputation.. Then find a tuner on their site close to you.. Talk to him...

Toyota are smart enough to make it too difficult to flash the ECU.

A guy in Australia used to make some minor hardware changes that allowed some basic adjustment but not enough to make it worthwhile.

Aftermarket ECU's are cheap so why would you muck around with the factory unit.

I looked into MegaSquirt but it seems too complicated. I'm more like a engine hardware guy so I just want to build the engine and take it to a tuner. That's why I'd like to see and learn about all of the options out there.

I've read that some boosted 1UZ with over 12 psi have blown the engine without retarding the timing. That's kind of worry me. So there's no need to retard the cam?

They mean ignition timing mate NOT cam timing, so no there's NO need to retard the cam timing.

Retarding ignition should be easy with any half decent ignition box.

Thanks for all the info, gents. I'd love to learn more about tuning, but whenever I read about it, I go nuts. :smileeek: I just talked to a tuner at Split Second and he said he has the FTC1 (fuel and ignition control) to work with the LS400, but he's not sure about SC400 wiring diagram. I hope he could come up with an answer.

I have another question. How can the oxygen sensors be tricked so the stock ECU won't override the piggyback ECU in closed loop or partial loop? I've seen there're some O2 sensor simulators that can change the voltage signal to the ECU, but I'm not sure how they work.

Back