Alternator problems among others

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

a.Lpha

Okay, so i've had a 1994 LS400 for a while, and have had no problems with it, mind you it has a massive 240,000Miles on it, though it's all highway and never been winter driven. My alternator died a few days ago, i was able to jump the car, it would run and die. my multi meter read that it was indeed not charging, however every now and then i would hear the alt come on but louder than normal and really sound like a whining electric motor. Anyways, i've ordered a new alternator, and though im not at home for this weekend, i will check the power steering pump aswell.

Are there any more recommendations any body can give me with what to do here? There is no rust anywhere on the car, and it all looks pristine (the acura dealership, where a close friend is the head of service, one of the mechanics said it looked to be at least a 2000)... help or advice would be awesome!

Okay, so i've had a 1994 LS400 for a while, and have had no problems with it, mind you it has a massive 240,000Miles on it, though it's all highway and never been winter driven. My alternator died a few days ago, i was able to jump the car, it would run and die. my multi meter read that it was indeed not charging, however every now and then i would hear the alt come on but louder than normal and really sound like a whining electric motor. Anyways, i've ordered a new alternator, and though im not at home for this weekend, i will check the power steering pump aswell.

Are there any more recommendations any body can give me with what to do here? There is no rust anywhere on the car, and it all looks pristine (the acura dealership, where a close friend is the head of service, one of the mechanics said it looked to be at least a 2000)... help or advice would be awesome!

I would suggest your power steering pump has leaked and killed the alternator.

Check it for leaks before you put a new alternator on as it will die a fast death when filled with power steering fluid.

The additional noise may well be bearing noise.

If alternator is your problem. It also drained the battery too. Make sure you recharge your battery before starting. You should also take your battery to a local auto shop for test. There are times where battery doesnt take charge. Rule out that first before attacking the alternator. It is alot easier to change the battery then the alternator. Testing normally is free of charge.

It's a 675CCA Nappa battery, i tested it and it's not perfect (505CCA) but still is fine and retains a charge, and i did take it to have it tested and they found the same thing, so it isn't the battery, the cables only read 12V now, and used to read 14, so that's what made me first think alternator. I have no picked up a new alt and am going to have it installed this upcoming tuesday... so I'm gonna pray for good luck!

Okay so i figured i'd give an update out
------
It's what happens to every lexus of this age it seems. The power steering pump exploded all over my alternator and killed it. I got a new alt as i said for around $160 i think after tax and shipping and the pump cost me $260 after all that. all in all, not TOO much, but still a pain for a repair that shouldn't have happened in my humble opinion.

I remember a mechanic trying to convince me I needed an entire engine overhaul.... said my car needed s valve job, leaky guide seals, work valves because I had white smoke at startup. Now at 1st glance it makes sense.. and even more sense to a noob (at the time) but it had nothing to do with the heads. I had a small $15.00 plastic one-way check valve for my P/S pump. It broke, allowing P/S fluid to be sucked into the manifold and burned at startup... new plastic vlave and all the problems dissappeared. on a side note i also lost an alternator because the pump bled into the alt. mine too went right at 200,000.

This is probably the commonest cause of alternator failure in UZ motors. Why didn't Toyota put the alternator above the steering pump?

From memory I once saw a cover plate for the alternator to direct the leaking oil away form the alternator. At least it would save some money.

If no one knows about it how about some smarty make some and flog them to us?

even a $2 steel "guard" above the alt for falling debris... but thats after the fact heh. OEM was quoted at $900.

This is probably the commonest cause of alternator failure in UZ motors. Why didn't Toyota put the alternator above the steering pump?

From memory I once saw a cover plate for the alternator to direct the leaking oil away form the alternator. At least it would save some money.

If no one knows about it how about some smarty make some and flog them to us?

Hi, I've made a simple deflector for my alternator, It's just a 6" X 4" piece of aluminium bent into a curved shape with an couple of tabs pinched behind the alternators mounting to hold it in place. Any dripping fluid will just run off completly missing the alt.

Yeah, that would have been good if i knew about this problem before hand, oh well. new pump and alt should do the job *sigh*

Zuffen,

I like your idea of swapping position. That would make life alot easier. I think some newer production alternator has the aluminum protective plate but you have to do some gymnastic to get it in.

Back