400rwhp, possible on stock engine and box?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

BLSTIC

Hi people. I have just joined this forum about an hour or so ago, looking for info on the 1UZ, and it seems like this is the right place.

The main questions I have are based around ways to get the 400rwhp I desire, and ways to get it to the ground that DON'T involve broken driveline bits. The engine (provided it fits, can make the power, and I decide to go that way) will be installed in a 1954 Zephyr Six. As there will be so much work involved in the build, changing the gearbox from the (1UZ's) 4spd auto won't make much of a dent in the build time or budget, but if I can safely avoid it, I will.

Number One: How do I get the 400rwhp out of the 1UZ?

I see a few of you have already made more than this figure on standard internals, so it is possible, but what turbo's did you use, and what intercoolers are you using to get it? I am thinking of using a pair of WRX turbochargers, as they seem to be capable of 150+rwkw, and come from the right sized engine. I also plan to run a pair of water-air intercoolers, along with water injection.

And what computer do you guys normally use in your conversions? My Zephyr's electrical system (being from 1954) literally has 30 wires in the whole car, most of them being for lights, so a lot of wiring will need to be done anyway. Although the engine will remain unboosted for the first few months of driving, I would prefer to wire in an aftermarket computer to start with. I don't believe in doing things twice. Which leads me to...

Number Two: Can the Auto Cope?

As I just said, I don't want to do anything on the car twice, so if there is any doubt about the trans holding up under 400rwhp, it will be getting swapped before the engine goes near the car (probably with a C4 and a high-stall). Can it hold up reliably?

The other concern about the auto is the fact that I will need a computer that can run it. I am fully aware of the solenoid operated gearshift and how to 'manualise' it, but the car will be driven on the street, and as such the shifts can only be so harsh. So has anyone come across a computer that can control the auto trans?

thanks in advance for any advice people.

cya
Ben

and yeah, the Zephyr needs a ground up resto anyway (bar the interior), so that is why I am contemplating doing something this crazy to it. It's cheaper for me to get a 1UZ than a rebuild kit (rings, bearings, gaskets, and pistons) for a Zephyr motor. And I just love the V8 noise.

nah, zephyr is a Mk1 Mk2 was '56-'60

only problem I think I will have fitting the engine is the trans tunnel.

Wow, you are certainly a brave fellow, those early Zephyr's are sincerely the worst handling car ever and having more than a 130hp engine will be suicide lol.

And the brakes, wow the stock ones are like cardboard wraped around a steel shaft :), I guess you have some serious mods planned for the above but even then the car is sort of a flawed design in a lot of ways.

Anyhow, each to their own but take care bro ......

oh the only mechanical part left standard will be the steering wheel (attached to a collapsable shaft). I may also keep the accellerator and brake pedals. Maybe.

I havent figured out what car the brakes will be from but the rear will be whatever came on the diff, and the fronts, well, the whole front suspension is being swapped (I'm thinking commodore gear, cheap and plentiful. and really big brakes)

however this whole idea will go down the crapper if I can find a good standard zephyr engine (the engine is the only bit that really needs replacing, the rest are just normal service items like bushes, brake pads/cylinders, shocks etc.)

cya
Ben

Back