1uz Fires, but wont idle, displays no codes

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

JimBoots

hey all..

Bought a 1990 ls400 halfcut that i witnessed running.

I've changed water pump, all belts, all pulleys. and now ive wired it up as per the attached drawing. Also added a 12v feed to injectors from key position IGN. Ignitors are bolted to the body, battery has lead from negative to body. i am running the standard auto box

The ecu has a 26p16p22p26p connection.

The fuel pump comes on with ignition and turns off a few seconds after ignition is turned to off.

Engine Fires/kicks over with a nice sounding vroom! but then instantly dies. no attempt at a rough idle or nothing.

Ive bridge the Te1 and E1 terminals in the engine bay check connector and i get no codes. That's if a constant blink means no codes? (according to this: http://mkiv.supras.org.nz/articles/engine_1.htm)

Only problem i have come across is the STA wire, it gets 12v as soon as my key is turned to IGN. ecu plugged in or un-plugged makes no difference there.
so ATM ive cut it off from my relay/ignition wiring as it was backfeeding and cranking my engine when i turned the key at IGN (i read a post by sideshow saying the STA wont stop it running)

Will be testing fuel Pressure this evening, 50psi @ idle? if i am right?
Spraying start ya Bas't down the inlet while someone turns the key makes no difference.

Is there anything else i could be missing?
If its my ECU, will any ECU with the 26p16p22p26p plug configuration be ok to use?

Hopefully it isnt my ECU, or anything other than some wiring as i did witness this engine running 6-8 months ago!

Any help is appreciated
Cheers
James

Attachments

• ls 400 Wiring Diagram.jpg
    ls 400 Wiring Diagram.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
And sideshow i'll assume you'll read this..
Im the guy who is putting it into a 100series landcruiser. was meant to bring it to you to wire.
No problems with your price, its just very far from being able to get it on a tow truck to get to you.
if your bored and do house calls by all means. i'll pay

For a start take that diagram, screw it up and throw it away. Wired like that it will make about 60rwKW. I am being serious. You have just wasted your time wiring it off crap diagrams. For correct diagrams look at 1uzfe ecu/ect diagrams part one and two here http://www.lextreme.com/misc.html . These diagrams have 95% of the info needed to wire it properly. There are a few tips missing and you may end up with a code 56 as you have an early Celsior ECU. You may chose to ditch the fuel pump circuits and go with one of Jims Tachometric relays if he has some left. A far better option is peel the loom off and send it to sideshow although he might not be able to for a bit with moving and stuff to sort. He doesnt charge enough for the work he does and does an awesome job.

On a plus note I am pretty sure I have several customers who have used this diagram to wire their motors and have had the same problem. One of them did the same thing twice. I have been wondering how they got the starter to backfeed like you have and now I know. Cheers

Taking the loom off and sending it to him was the first option he gave me. but in all honesty, im not doing that now that its in the car untill the starter motor stuffs up as i dont want to take off the inlet atm.

your link, ive scoured that for months, and have plenty of other wiring diagrams for this motor. like i said, ive added a IGN feed to the injectors, as that isnt shown in the one i posted.. but i found it needed it by looking at other diagrams

and since this morning i've added another 12v feed to the B+ EFI..
it now idles, very high, and only after letting the fuel pump pressurise the system for quite a longer time than it should need...

This wiring is only temp to get the motor running. once i receive my EWD for the landcruiser i shall be transferring it into the standard relays etc etc and have always planned on the Tachometric relay jim sells, im not crazy enough to leave it wired to IGN

Thanks for your words tho

If u can't be fukt sending it to me then don't going ask for help
And don't say my price is cheap if hr not going to send it
As my price also includes help over the phone but since
U asked me to wire it then decided to do it yourself you are

Oops bloody iPhone
U r on your own
What sheits me the most is people ringing me and organizing
A job then they do it themselves it themselves
Careful what info u give out kelvin hehehe
I don't mean to be a cnt but sometimes people just make such lame fking
As excuses
Heheheheheheheh

If u can't be fukt sending it to me then don't going ask for help
And don't say my price is cheap if hr not going to send it
As my price also includes help over the phone but since
U asked me to wire it then decided to do it yourself you are

Cant be stuffed taking off the inlet to send you the loom, would rather send you the whole car!

when i came to you i told you i'd already made a start on it, but had given up.. but since its not tow worthy i thought i'd have another stab for now, specially since i read your packing up shop.

even in my first post i offered/ asked if you can do a house call. for you to come do it. i said im willing to pay. figured you'd just charge me more than what you quoted to do it if i towed it to you. im totally cool with that, money is no issue to me. you get what you pay for, and you come highly recommended

but that was a poor attitude reply mate. i know u get sick of ppl getting free info off you, and not wanting to pay, but man, im willing to pay. only had to say u weren't interested in a house call

last project i payed some clown 2500 to wire a pre ecotec commy v6 into my surf, they still didnt even get it right.. free phone call to you solved the problem..(use older VN ecu to bypass security)

Hehe
I'm just over it all
Just check over the wiring since u know how to do it
Sorry I sound harsh but most on here knows What
I have to put up with and that's y I'm like this

Hey like they say if u want the best
Hehe

Hehe
I'm just over it all

Hey like they say if u want the best Job
Hehe

Hehe
I'm just over it all

Hey like they say if u want the best Job
Hehe

Spray fuel down throttle and see if it runs for longer
That will point u in right direction

Anyway if yr running land Cruiser dash u will run into more
Problems than just getting the motor running
Maybe ring yr local auto elect and get them to sort rest out

like i said it runs now that i've added 12v to the EFI B terminal, (isc valve at/solenoid etc)
And now im getting some engine codes finally. still not a 56 yet, i'll fix that if and when it comes up.. gloverman, how did you know ive swapped the viscous fan out?

anyways getting a code 12. so i'll check my cam and crank sensors tomorrow in the afternoon in the daylight..

also going to drop the IGN feeds to the NSW & STA that the drawing i wired it up to has shown, pretty sure they're outputs and dont need a supply

im getting there..

and jim, like i said. if your up for house calls its still on offer.. this thing wont get on a tilt tray for some while yet

Last edited:
Sorry I'll be in qld by that time
Just study diagrams and ask the experts on this site
I'm useless on here these days heheeh

Dont worry Jim , I still need to make a living from this game so my info is important to me. There is so much real info avaliable from the home screen of this website with proper wiring diagrams and so many still don't know its there. I thought my post was sounding like the old Jim before he was over it. Haha. Cheers

Hehe
Looks like I won't be taking on any Extra work at moment
I'll be busy finishing all old jobs from other workshops
Which means I've already spent alot of time and not paid for it yet
So I'll have enough cash I hope for the big move

so i've had a think and a play.. is this better?

will change fuel pump arrangement when i wire it all in properly, tachometric relay or use ECU output

Attachments

• Wired like this.jpg
    Wired like this.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
I have seen them wired like that too. Not a good idea. Give it a try and it will turn off strange. Wire it like the diagrams in the spec section that I pointed you towards the other day. Dont try and do it other ways at the moment as you are just making it too hard for yourself. Read the diagrams and wire it correctly or get someone else to do it.

will turn off strange as the FP and EFI B+ feeds aren't switched by the ECU?

this setup is only temp, i just want to know if this engine will run still.. it will be re-wired properly into the doner vehicle at a later date.

If you just want to run the motor power up Batt, B+,B1+, Ign , coils and injectors and stepper. Feed power to STA and starter at the same time and run a fuel pump into it. Then wire it into the vehicle correctly. Cheers

Back