Group Buy for adjustable intake cam gears for non VVTI 1UZFE

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

ivan129

BlownZX
Hi everyone...
Is there enough interest for a group buy of Adjustable Intake cam gears for non VVTI 1UZFE's. The suppliers in China wants a minium order of 40 sets. I'm not sure on the final price until they come back with a quote but judging by the prices of their other sets, could be 60 - 80$ a pair + shipping.
I do not wish to manage this, just purchase 1 set for my use.

Platinum Racing now produce adjustable cam gears for early 1UZ non VVTI engines. Be aware that the Left cam gear has been assembled incorrectly.

Platinum Racing now produce adjustable cam gears for early 1UZ non VVTI engines. Be aware that the Left cam gear has been assembled incorrectly.
Can you elaborate on that? I have a set of the PRP adjustable cam gears and it looks as though they are not assembled correctly and couldn't use them. I haven't been able to get any info out of them about it. I just e-mailed them again.

Can you elaborate on that? I have a set of the PRP adjustable cam gears and it looks as though they are not assembled correctly and couldn't use them. I haven't been able to get any info out of them about it. I just e-mailed them again.
I'll bet then you must be their 2nd customer to have purchased these. PRP have now released an update they label as V2 after I told them about the problem. I'm guessing you haven't installed them yet either as you would have picked the problem. You will need to do a comparison between the OEM gear and the PRP ones. You will find that the right hand gear is fine, whereas the left hand gear has the trigger tab for the cam angle sensor 90 degrees retarded. Easy fix you might say just remove the screws rotate the trigger ring and refit. Well the problem with that is that only 2 screws line up, the other 2 don't. The fix is that PRP have now drilled new outer gear to fix the problem. Next issue is that you can't fit the cam sensor mounts back to the engine because they fowl on the gears. Picture below shows you what I machined off.

Attachments

• Cam sensor mount.jpg
    Cam sensor mount.jpg
    548.1 KB · Views: 0
I'll bet then you must be their 2nd customer to have purchased these. PRP have now released an update they label as V2 after I told them about the problem. I'm guessing you haven't installed them yet either as you would have picked the problem. You will need to do a comparison between the OEM gear and the PRP ones. You will find that the right hand gear is fine, whereas the left hand gear has the trigger tab for the cam angle sensor 90 degrees retarded. Easy fix you might say just remove the screws rotate the trigger ring and refit. Well the problem with that is that only 2 screws line up, the other 2 don't. The fix is that PRP have now drilled new outer gear to fix the problem. Next issue is that you can't fit the cam sensor mounts back to the engine because they fowl on the gears. Picture below shows you what I machined off.
Another thing I can add.. Their version 1 left gear could work (be used) as is, if you added 180 degrees to the ignition off set, however ths is something I didn't want to do. I wanted the trigger tab to be facing in the right position. You will need to check the ignition offset anyway once the engine is running. The way I used to dial in UZ cams using OEM gear, I would drill the dowel slot to allow adjustment and always found the offset needed to be tweaked a degree or 2 afterwards. The above mod must be done if using PRP gears. It would appear that PRP never test fitted their gears as they don't appear to have any answers. Don't think I would purchase another set of these though. Modding the OEM gears works fine. There are a number of other tricks you will learn when attempting to dial in UZ cams. Unfortunately none of the supposidly reputable youtube builder have any clue about doing this.

Back