1UZ swap for Porsche 911

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Porschuz

I am putting the 1UZ into a 1977 Porsche 911S. I have been searching the internet to see if anyone has done this but have found nothing. So hey, I am declaring my project to be the first ever!
This will be more of a complete car build rather than just an engine swap. I have already test fit the engine in the car, designed and built the motor mount, and laid out how I will run all of the coolant lines.
Here is the build progression:
-Partially disassemble car allowing for some design work - DONE
-Mount engine to transaxle and fit into engine bay for motor mount design - DONE
-Fabricate motor mount - DONE
-Design exhaust system - DONE (Not built yet)
-Locate routing for coolant lines, throttle linkage, fuel lines, etc - DONE
- Design radiator "Cage" and ducting - almost DONE
- Fit Vintage Air evaporator casing to underdash ( I have a mock up unit)
- Weld in new suspension pan for rust repair
- Finish disassembling car for all other body repairs
Okay, you get the idea there is a lot to be done and I've just started.
I will use Megasquirt engine management, wasted spark ignition (because the goofy looking distributors wouldn't fit under the deck lid), and a really huge alternator so I can run an electric A/C compressor as well as electric steering assist. The only other major fabrication I am going to have to do is make a new water bridge so the coolant inlet and outlet pipes terminate inside the plane of the cam sprockets.
I will also build a custom wiring harness for the entire car (not as hard as it sounds) and do a custom interior. The only problem is trying to keep it tasteful, you know? It's so easy to go over the top when you design your own car. My intention is to make the car appear to be an 74 IROC on the outside and a blend of old/new Porsche on the inside.
I'll post when I have made significant progress.
http://www.lextreme.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13412&stc=1&d=1423275177
http://www.lextreme.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13413&stc=1&d=1423275177

Attachments

• DSC_0125[1].jpg
    DSC_0125[1].jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC_0124[1].jpg
    DSC_0124[1].jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 54
Wow..... Now I'm no purist by any measure, but to take one of the classic air cooled 911S' and do this to it? You've got some big brass ones M8!

You certainly picked one of the smallest, and lightest DOHC V8's for your project, however. It'll be great to see how this develops. Good luck!

If you were here in Oz I'd call you mad as the value of air cooled 911s is going up up and up....I'd still have chosen a LSx myself for ease and power potential but always happy to see a UZ stuffed into something :)

Wonderful project, I wish you have road test soon! I absolutely like the idea of thrashing some collectible car's engine (which everyone jerks off at) and stuffing in some more appropriate powertrain. So the car would keep bringing fun and seeing the road rather than museum walls

Thanks for the good words.
Whenever I excitedly tell people about this project they always give me that sideways look and wonder why anyone in their right mind would do something like that to a Holy Porsche. Well, it's just a car.
I bought the car 8 years ago with stars in my eyes and had very little idea what I would do with it. It had flares, huge tires, a ridiculously large spoiler, it would run, AND I was able to scrape up the money to buy it. (Continued)

Let's see: It smoked like a brush fire when first started, the wiring was hacked so bad the turn signal stalk actually cause the lights to cut out, it would go dead at every stop light, the suspension pan was dangerously rusted through, the tires were like onion peels, there was no heat, no air, one window would not go down, and the other would not go up. The shift lever came out of the boot on the 120 mile trip home, and bump steer was so bad I nearly lost control going over a railroad track. (Continued)

More than that- the rear flares are fiberglass and are starting to peel off, the front flares were welded on without trimming the inner fender lip out, and every time it rains the floor fills completely up.
How much money would it take to restore it? You are car guys, you probably have a good idea. How much is it worth completely restored? I am not sure; no one restores a 911 that has no special features, no racing history, no famous owners, and no sentimental value other than it is a Porsche. With about 70% of the car needing replacing, I would say it would end up as a parts car. I even had it up for sale for about 2 years, but there were no knights in shining armour coming to the rescue of a 911 in distress.
Potential buyers would run away when they realized that even though they were getting a 911 at a giveaway price, they would actually have to spend some money on it.
Of course I would never do this sort of thing to a potentially nice car. Nice, meaning that the resale value is not one tenth of the investment.
It is now an artist's palette.

When I finally made the decision to leap into the abyss, I debated whether I should go old school with a carburetted small block chevy or do an LSx. I have a C5 corvette as my daily driver so I am comfortable with that. But then, where is the fun? The check-book hot rodders like to stick with well known companies selling kits (you will pay for their engineering) and that's fine for staying within the lines. But come on, how cool is a 32V OHC aluminum block with the capability of hitting 1000HP on stock internals? I found Lextreme.com while searching for a suitable engine and I would like to thank the people on this website for dozens of great ideas.

After learning the measurements of the 1UZ I knew I had a winner. So I grabbed one at the local boneyard for about 400 dollars and started fitting it up. Doing my own design work, most of the fabrication, and using off the shelf Hot Rod parts, I will be saving enough money over the “kits” to put some serious hardware in place later on. (Think Twin Turbo).

Now if I had a fat wallet, I could get this thing done in about 6 months by hiring out some of the work. But I'm just a family man with two daughters in college and will have to do 99% of the job. I will be fabricating, welding, sanding, painting, wiring, upholstering, rebuilding, and even doing my own powdercoating.
Isn't this EXCITING?!!!

Wonderful project, I wish you have road test soon! I absolutely like the idea of thrashing some collectible car's engine (which everyone jerks off at) and stuffing in some more appropriate powertrain. So the car would keep bringing fun and seeing the road rather than museum walls

Well said....

This is an excellent combo. I've built some brakes for a 911-LS swap owner and the engine fit great but the gearing was wrong for it. 1st gear was useless as was the case for my 944 LS swap I did. That said, a higher-revving v8 is jus what the 911 and 944 swaps need for matching the factory trans gearing. What trans and adapter clutch was required for the 1uz?

Kennedy Engineered Products in California (kennedyenginc.com) listed a Toyota to Porsche 915 adapter plate. They specialize in VW adapters for sand rails and the 915 has the same bolt pattern. They list it for Porsche.
The higher revving capability is one of the features that made me decide on a 1UZ. I thought, why not match the torque band of the flat six instead of changing out gears in the trans (more expensive to do)?
I have a lot of work to do on the chassis before I dig in to the engine, so right now it's speculation and talk. (I know I can always abort and go to a boring old Chevy LS.:D)

What a nice project .. the search lead me to your post .

last week I had an offer to buy a 1999 911 GT3 with bad engine for about 6K $!!

I was thinking to put 1UZ or L98 engine on it.

show us more pictures for the water cooling system and exhaust system

Encountered some snags over the past year (personal life, that sort of thing) and have not done much since my first overly enthusiastic post.
So to recap:
The mockup engine is bolted to the trans with the adapter plate and has been placed into the engine compartment for clearance issues.
The major issue I can see is the coolant inlet sticking out preventing the engine lid from coming down. I will have to fabricate a new water bridge with the inlet and outlet pointing to the same side.
As far as the radiator is concerned, I have an AFCO radiator picked out with angled outlet and will build a support cage for it. This cage will also house a racing fuel cell as well as act as a camber brace between the strut towers.
I also purchased a mock-up unit from Vintage Air of their most compact universal AC/ Heat unit. Believe it or not, fitting an underdash AC unit seems to be the most difficult of the modifications I have planned.

I am sorry to say that this project is on hold until sometime next year, since I have to complete another car project as well as a few projects on my home.

Attachments

• DSC_0118[1].jpg
    DSC_0118[1].jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC_0188[1].jpg
    DSC_0188[1].jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_0190[1].jpg
    DSC_0190[1].jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
To the guy "busy" installing the Lexus V8 into his 911. Some called him MAD. Can I have his name or ph nu?
I just turned 60 and am also a bit mad. I have an excellent 930 whale tail (replica fibre glass body from GT Racing California). Somebody started a VW kombi conversion with a diy steel chassis in it. However I'm considering a RWB-type project on a aluminium rolling chassis with new front and rear suspension and (Audi 500?) gearbox. Any ideas or advice would be appreciated. It would just have to be a lazy little Jagenmeister Café Cruiser, fairly good on economy as I would like to travel cross country as well.

To the guy "busy" installing the Lexus V8 into his 911. Some called him MAD. Can I have his name or ph nu?
I just turned 60 and am also a bit mad. I have an excellent 930 whale tail (replica fibre glass body from GT Racing California). Somebody started a VW kombi conversion with a diy steel chassis in it. However I'm considering a RWB-type project on a aluminium rolling chassis with new front and rear suspension and (Audi 500?) gearbox. Any ideas or advice would be appreciated. It would just have to be a lazy little Jagenmeister Café Cruiser, fairly good on economy as I would like to travel cross country as well.
Just make sure you have the time and money do all the work required. Otherwise, the sky is the limit. The Audi unit is pretty much the same as the early 944 trans. Cheap but still a great choice, in my opinion.
I have the 911 under a cover in a sad shape of disassembly and it makes me nuts not being able to work on it. Between maintaining 4 daily drivers, renovating a house (by myself, no help, no contractors...) working on the Stingray, and working a crappy job for 1/3 of my waking hours, I am struggling with my Porsche-UZ obsession! I WILL NOT GIVE UP!

To Porschuz. Just don't give up, you're 70% there. Regarding my dream, the 930 fibreglass shell, (from GT Racing); I have to start with a dirty sheet. That is cut out a terrible rusty square frame chassis, and then source the floor pan, suspension, engine and box. Only then the clean sh*$%t starts. As far as priorities are concerned, I feel for you. Also still a (poor) family man with still 2 kids to "push" through University. I trust for a miracle soon; company to sent me on pension so that time and money not a major problem anymore. Will let you know when that happen.